firepit tiles

Old 07-29-09, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
firepit tiles

This doesn't concern floor tile, but it is tile, of some sort. We have an outdoor fire pit that has 1"x1" tiles around the edge. Some of them have fallen off because of water that got under the cover. I'm wondering what is the best way to put them back on, considering that they might get wet again (but hopefully not for as long), and considering their proximity to heat from the fire. The tiles are not in the fire, just around the edge of the bowl. Also, what about the grout? My guess is the base 'adhesive' and the grout are the same thing on the unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-09, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the substrate they are attached too? You could probably just get some brick mortar to put them back on.

Old 07-29-09, 09:59 PM
Hummmm, what type of substrate? Hummmm, it's a "fire" pit. So what are the choices? Metal or wood. It's a firepit, so we could choose metal or wood. Remember it's a FIREPIT. I had a wooden firepit once. OK enough. Epoxy would be the best type of adhesive, but I doubt they used that in the first place. Too expensive and difficult to work with. They probably used some kind of rubberized glue from a tube? It only need to last for awhile anyway. Brick mortar isn't going to work so good for this application. Jaz

Old 07-31-09, 11:50 AM
It's a metal surface. Whatever is on there originally it is not sanded, so I don't think it's mortar. I should probably look for the manufacturer of the firepit and see if there's something on their website about it. Or ask them directly. My guess is it would be some kind of epoxy.

Old 07-31-09, 01:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What about fire resistant caulk?

Old 07-31-09, 02:05 PM
Yeah, whatever I use I'll have to check and make sure it's heat and fire resistant. That would suck if it melted or spontaneously combusted. : )