New stone over existing ceramic tile?

Old 07-28-09, 02:17 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New stone over existing ceramic tile?

I have a small entryway (35 sq. ft.) currently covered in ceramic tile laid over a cement slab. Can I safely lay new travertine over the existing tile without adding backerboard between? The travertine tiles are approximately 3/8 inch thick and two inches square, mounted on 12-inch mesh squares. The surface is level and sound, and even 1/4 inch backerboard would add a bit too much height to be attractive, but I really don't want to pull up the old tile if I can avoid it. Any advice is welcome.

Old 07-28-09, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome!

What is the condition of the ceramic? Cracks, etc?

You also do not lay cement board over cement slabs or over existing tile. Backerboard are meant for wooden subfloors or walls.

Could you remove the existing? Would the added height of this travertine prevent doors from opening, transition points, etc?

Old 08-03-09, 11:50 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Stone Over Existing Ceramic Tile

The existing ceramic tile is very sound; no cracks, bumps, loose material, etc. The existing 12-inch tiles have a matte, slightly-textured finish, which makes me think that the mastic might adhere quite well to it and the existing quarter-inch grout lines.

The old tile could all be removed, but I prefer not to go to the trouble, and there is plenty of clearance for the door. I am considering either two-inch travertine tiles matted in foot-square sections, or four-inch individual tiles (now leaning toward the second option). Since the grout lines will not precisely line up with the original ones, I think the mastic will have a decent chance of adhering to both surfaces without any chance for the new tiles to "rock".

If there are no known serious pitfalls, I'm willing to chance this installation and report back on the experience.

Old 08-03-09, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would clean the existing tile very well first. Do NOT use mastic, or anything that comes in a bucket! Get yourself some good modified thinset, like Flexbond from HD or a Mapei product from Lowes.

Also, are you removing any baseboards first? Those will no longer be at the same height as adjoining rooms, so take that into account as well.

Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: