first time laying tile. need help!

Old 08-09-09, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first time laying tile. need help!

This is going to be my first time laying tile. I have some questions. In all the tile videos i looked i saw them installing the tiles with some grey sticky stuff. What is that stuff?
I need to go buy some but i dont know what its called.

Im going to be installing ceramic tile, i already started taking off the old tile. Here is what it looks like underneath.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 06:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's called thinset. Don't buy any adhesive that comes in a bucket, it's more expensive and has been known to have lots of failures. Get a 50lb bag of Versabond if you have Home Depot or a Mapei product from Lowes.

Now, it is recommended and industry practice to install a cement backerboard onto that wood, then install tile on top.

Old 08-09-09, 07:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'm a little concerned you plan to do this and don't know what thinset is. Putting down ceramic is pretty straight forward and definitely a DIY job, but I think you might see a big difference in your results if you hit Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a book about tiling.

And definitely come back here with questions.

Old 08-09-09, 08:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The floor looks wood not concrete. Around here at least most of the thinset is not intended for wood and the ones that are are very expensive ($5 vs $25 /bag) but that is what you must be sure to use unless you use cement backer board underlayment.

P.S. You really need to read up on the subject not just watch videos.

Old 08-09-09, 01:39 PM
B
Help Ceramic tiles and wetsaw

Hi
I am a novice, but have otten my hands dirty before. I am installing new ceramic tiles on the walls 4X4 and I am using versabond 85% of tiles are up. Now I need to cut some two inch tiles for around the window. HELP HELP, how do I use a wetsaw

Old 08-10-09, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
The floor looks wood not concrete. Around here at least most of the thinset is not intended for wood and the ones that are are very expensive ($5 vs $25 /bag) but that is what you must be sure to use unless you use cement backer board underlayment.

P.S. You really need to read up on the subject not just watch videos.
yup the floor is wood not concrete. And i am not planning on putting down cement backerboard.

So what should i use that is intended for wood?

Old 08-10-09, 04:10 AM
Old 08-10-09, 05:57 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You currently have ceramic over a plywood subfloor. You have no underlayment, and thats not acceptable by today's standards. Remove all the tile and as much of the mastic as you can.

You must install an underlayment before you can install the tile. The cement board you mention will work. Make sure you read the installation instructions before you intall the cement board, as its important to get everything right to prevent a failure. This means that you must set the cement board in a bed of fresh thinset and screw or nail it down to the subfloor. You must tape and mud (with thinset) the seams of the cement board.

The flexbond in your post will work just fine. Stay away from the mastic in a bucket as it will cause nothing but problems.

Old 08-22-09, 09:09 PM
free tiling classes at Home Depot are absolutely necessary if you've never done tiles. We spent 1 hour there and it was very worth the time.

Old 08-23-09, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nursepammi,

I'de be careful with that. I've seen some very scary tiling classes at HD. The people get no training in tiling before they make them teach the class. They give them a few pieces of paper with some "how-to" information and thats it. I used to work there and I was feeling sorry for the customers who were watching other employees teach it.

Old 11-06-09, 08:34 AM
L
How to Tile a Bathroom

I found this site to be helpful for my tiling project:

Link Removed

And if you can get some instruction from Home Depot on how to do it as well, that will reinforce your knowledge and make you able to do a better job. Don't rush into it and start doing things without a little knowledge.

Last edited by stickshift; 11-06-09 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 08:50 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Liberia

I read that link just now. There is some inaccurate info there, as well as some not so good advice and a whole lot of missing info. I'd not rely on this article as a basis to install tile.

Also, I'll assume the original poster is probably done with this job since this thead is 3 months old.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 11-06-09 at 10:33 AM.