Removing mastic from slate tiles

Old 08-17-09, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing mastic from slate tiles

This weekend I tiled my bathroom counter top. I used 1" slate tiles on a mesh with about 1/8 in-between.

I was able to use thinset for the top with no problem, but for the backsplash and front facing, I couldn't get the tiles to stay in place using thinset. They just slid right down. I used a mastic for stone and tile, and it worked great, except that in some areas, the mastic oozed up too much and took up all the space between the tiles, and got on the faces.

I wasn't able to remove very much when it was wet, and am planning to go back with a utility knife and cut our what I can between the tiles so that I have room for grout. But how do I get it off the faces? Is a small file or dremel tool the best solution? I know it will be vefy time consuming, but it's not a very big area, and I definitely don't want to grout it the way it is.

Here are some photos. I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The sooner you can get that off, the better. I would use a stiff brissel brush for the face of the tile. It will take elbow grease.

What type of thinset did you initially use that didn't work for you? If properly mixed, your tiles would stick just fine.

Also, remember to apply a presealer before you grout, and then seal it again after you grout.