sealing new grout

Old 08-19-09, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sealing new grout

Using sanded grout that has cured for about a week at this point, and a somewhat porous porcelain tile. I purchased the spray can of a grout sealer and am looking to do that tonight. The instructions seem fairly simple, hold it 15% away, spray the grout lines, wipe up the excess. Nothing however is that easy, so I wanted to see if there was something I'm missing... will the sealer potentially stain the tiles? Should I wipe the excess from the tiles immediately or wait a few minutes? Do I need to wash the tiles clean before sealing, or just sweep? What aren't I thinking of that will make me start swearing! :-) Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-09, 03:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would return this stuff and get a decent quality sealer. Not only will you be having to reapply this stuff often, it's also been linked to some respiratory problems. Get some Impregnator 511 or Stonetech sealer.

Old 08-19-09, 03:37 PM
those both need to be applied by a brush, correct? i will heed your advice... anything to be worried about in regards to staining the tile? is that stuff fairly self explanatory?

Old 08-19-09, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It won't hurt your tiles. I apply the sealer with a paint brush usually. Just wipe up any excess with a sponge or towel.

Old 08-19-09, 11:25 PM
Porcelain tile is not porous, maybe yours is rough though? Are the tiles decorated? (glazed) Remember "glazed" does NOT mean shiny.

You can apply the sealer on the tiles too, but they will absorb very little. Be sure to wipe off excess within a few minutes before the sealer dries. I have never used a brush to apply tile and grout sealer. Small 100% white cotton rag works for me.

Jaz

Old 08-20-09, 11:53 AM
I don't remember specifically what kind of sealer I used but it had a little applicator tip on the bottle. I applied it liberally to the joints and spread it out with my finger. It soaked in to the grout fairly quickly but just beaded up on the porcelain tile. I used an old towel to wipe up the excess. I ended up using a couple towels because once they get wet they don't work too well anymore. Wipe it up until there's no more shiny spots on the tile. I put a second coat on just because, and it didn't soak in hardly at all. The first coat pretty much did the job.

Old 08-30-09, 06:36 AM
got the impregnator and a little bottle w/applicator brush tip. man, this was easier than i was thinking! applied 2 coats, which both soaked into grout, so i applied a third which hardly soaked in at all. thanks for all the advice/tips, here's hoping i can finish this room soon!