When do you cut the edge tiles?

Old 08-21-09, 06:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When do you cut the edge tiles?

I'm lost about when should you cut the tile?

I measured the middle of my room and drew my 2 lines. I then placed all the tiles on the floor and it turned out well, except the edge of the room. I need to cut tiles.

But do i cut the tiles now? So when im laying the tiles down with the motar they will be cut and be ready to lay down. Or do i lay all the tiles down with motar and leave the edge with no motar untill the next day when it is dry and then i can measure and cut it.

Im confused to as when exactly i need to cut the edge tiles

thanks!

Old 08-21-09, 08:20 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You cut them as you go.

It sounds like you dry-laid all the full tiles? Well...OK, but there's no need to do that.

BTW, the lines should NOT necessarily be in the center. The idea is to have them parallel with the walls and have good sized pieces along the walls.

Example, assuming the tiles are 12x12"; if the room is 12' 9" wide, you wouldn't want the line to be 6 ft. 4.5" from the walls. Instead you'd want either a full tile on one wall and a 9" at the other. OR, equal 10 1/2" pieces at both walls.

Jaz

Old 08-22-09, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jaz, while I don't disagree with your theory, symmetry plays a lot in a room. Certainly you wouldn't want a 1" piece of tile on each side of the room, but leaving larger equally sized tiles in symmetry makes a room look a lot better.

Old 08-22-09, 10:00 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
he did include that possibility chandler.

one argument for the non-symmetrical layout would be when you have adjoining rooms. Depending on how those two floor surfaces meet and what they actually are, a partial tile (especially if you are using small tiles) would look odd or poorly laid out.

You also have to consider the shape of the room as well. If you have outcroppings that would cause a centered layout to cause a sliver of a tile in one place due to the outcropping, altering the layout to cause a larger tile section at that point may be appropriate but the totality of the entire layout must be considered as well.

then, we have the possibility of a pattern within the layout. Depending on the need for that pattern to meet certain design elements on a wall or such, shifting the layout could be appropriate even if it would mean non-symmetrical edge tiles.

In other words, symmetrical is good but there are exceptions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: