Do I put Caulking around Tile?

Old 08-26-09, 08:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I put Caulking around Tile?

From waht i understand, I don't tile to the wall. I leave 1/8 of an inch space between the tile and the wall. But to prevent water from getting under the tile, i need to put caulk in the gap. What type of caulk do i use? Any kind?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-09, 04:46 PM
S
Originally Posted by jacobpressures View Post
From waht i understand, I don't tile to the wall. I leave 1/8 of an inch space between the tile and the wall. But to prevent water from getting under the tile, i need to put caulk in the gap. What type of caulk do i use? Any kind?

Thanks!
You need to use sanded caulk. Something close to your grout color. Homer has a few choices that are the same color as their polyblend grout.

Old 08-27-09, 12:01 PM
J
Thanks very much! I'll probably talk to the company I bought the materials from and get the caulk. That's probably more expensive though i guess.

Does caulking the grooves between the wall and the tile require any type of expertise? is there something i need to keep in mind when i do it? Do i fill it up to be level with the floor?

I ended up getting rid of my tile guy after he finished tiling the floor. He was a relative and was causing me problems--plus not doing work. This is one of the only things i still need to do in this room.

I still have 2 other rooms though to tile so I may be back. lol.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-09, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What? Is this in a shower, bath floor, what? If it's just a bathroom floor, you don't need to caulk the perimeter near the wall. Base moulding covers this. Also, grout and the tile are not waterproof anyways.

Old 08-27-09, 02:33 PM
J
You know i was thinking about the hallway in front of the bathroom. but you know, stupid me, it does include my master bathroom.

But yes, it is the bathroom floor--not the shower.

I heard that if i allow water to get underneath it could cause damage so i needed to fill the gaps with something to prevent water from filling the spaces.

i'm going to look into this further because if i don't need to do anything else that would make life easier but i don't want to spend a lot of money and ruin something either.

You are saying i don't need this right?

Old 08-27-09, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No need to do anything. Good to go.

Old 08-27-09, 03:30 PM
S
Originally Posted by jacobpressures View Post
You know i was thinking about the hallway in front of the bathroom. but you know, stupid me, it does include my master bathroom.

But yes, it is the bathroom floor--not the shower.

I heard that if i allow water to get underneath it could cause damage so i needed to fill the gaps with something to prevent water from filling the spaces.

i'm going to look into this further because if i don't need to do anything else that would make life easier but i don't want to spend a lot of money and ruin something either.

You are saying i don't need this right?
I thought you were talking about the walls in your shower...sorry.
Floor is GTG... Baseboard or quarteround is all you need. Need to leave that 1/8 " for expansion. I would use it on your floor where your tile meets your tub or shower...especially if its one of those plactic inserts.

Old 08-28-09, 06:06 AM
J
Thanks guys! Fantastic!

Wow. i must lengthen this message to 25 characters. I hope this worked. Jezzz!