Shower re-do

Old 08-30-09, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower re-do

Going to put new tile in the shower, while removing the old tile, decided that it is best to just take down the old cement board and start fresh. Was in Lowes today and saw that they also have Hardy backer board....any opinions appreciated this vrs the old cement board??. Will have to use the 1/2 ' stuff to match the regular drywall around (outside) the shower. 2 walls of the shower are on an outside wall (concrete block), 2 knee walls are interior. p.s. Slab concrete floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-09, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hardiebacker has been out for ages and there's no real huge differences between that and a typical cement board. Hardie is pretty heavy though, so you might need some help. Either board will do just fine though.

Old 08-31-09, 03:58 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hardi is a fiber cement board. It'll do the same this that durock, wonderboard and the others will do. It's a thirsty board, and will suck the moisture out of your thinset if you let it. Wet the board down with a sponge or spray bottle prior to setting the tile and you'll be fine.

Are you just replacing the wall tiles? Is this a precast shower pan or a custom tile shower pan?

Old 08-31-09, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Hardi is a fiber cement board. It'll do the same this that durock, wonderboard and the others will do. It's a thirsty board, and will suck the moisture out of your thinset if you let it. Wet the board down with a sponge or spray bottle prior to setting the tile and you'll be fine.

Are you just replacing the wall tiles? Is this a precast shower pan or a custom tile shower pan?
I know both type boards are pretty heavy. I am going to try and use the 3x5 sheets. Read up on the Mfg site about installation FAQ's. The sunken shower was formed into the concrete during the slab installation. Removed another tiled wall today because I had an area of concern. That wall was pitched inward at the bottom and I had to find out why. It seems the framing for the knee wall was built about 1/2" away from the lip of the shower form. Those #$%^@# installers put the cement board on the floor of the shower, bowed it to align with the knee wall framing and screwed the CB down. Not sure what I have to do here, but it appears that I will have to chisel out about 45" of concrete in order to make the wall vertical. Beer 4U2