silicone grout sealer ?

Old 09-07-09, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
silicone grout sealer ?

i did some searching on the net. seems searching here is not working.

i have a many years old full bottle of TILE GUARD SILICONE GROUT SEALER. water based. i have unsanded grout on my new polished travertine shower floor (many small pieces). can i use this sealer with good results ?

thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-09, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Heard the fumes from this stuff can get people pretty sick. I have no experience with it. I usually always use a DuPont StoneTech product or Impregnator 511. I would ditch that stuff and get some new.

Old 09-08-09, 06:46 PM
thanx, Mark. kinda figured that. where can i get your stuff ?

btw. you should see my HT now. lots of nice gear. and i am researching a projector now.

Old 09-09-09, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can get the 511 Impregnator at Home Depot. It's about $30+ for a little jug. You can get DuPonts StoneTech from a Dal Tile store or tile distributor in your area.

I was once looking into a projector but decided to go LCD. I didn't want to have anything else hanging from the ceiling.

Old 09-13-09, 08:44 AM
kinda expensive, but if you say its good. i'm in.
how long does this stuff last in a shower ? 2 showers a day.
oh, i have a little granite in the shower, as well.

i have a mitsu 65" dlp now. other than some graininess, the picture is great. but, its just not big enough for scope movies.
for me, if the pj looks good, i think it will look hanging from my ceiling. and the newer models are said to have great pictures. even the entry level units.

Old 09-13-09, 08:50 AM
oh-yeah

my unsanded grout has been drying for over a week. other than a "little" touch up i did yesterday. is that enough wait ? and after the 511 aplication, how long to wait to use the shower ?

thanx.

Old 09-14-09, 08:29 PM
ok. i sealed with 511 today. pretty easy to apply. this stuff makes my granite SHINE, i love it. going to wait a few days before using shower, because i layed it on kinda thick on the shower floor (easy to do).

expensive, $35 a qt :wow:. but i only used about 1/10th of that quart. so it will last a long time. assuming a reseal every 6 months of so.

can i use this sealer on my granite counter tops, without any issues, such as food ?
i tell my wife to keep food off the counter. but she doesn't always listen.

thanx, Mark.

Old 09-14-09, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by condo-owner View Post
ok. i sealed with 511 today. pretty easy to apply. this stuff makes my granite SHINE, i love it. going to wait a few days before using shower, because i layed it on kinda thick on the shower floor (easy to do).

expensive, $35 a qt :wow:. but i only used about 1/10th of that quart. so it will last a long time. assuming a reseal every 6 months of so.

can i use this sealer on my granite counter tops, without any issues, such as food ?
i tell my wife to keep food off the counter. but she doesn't always listen.

thanx, Mark.
The sealer can be used on your countertop, but it may not be needed, and in fact a waste, if the granite wont absorb it. You can check it by putting some water droplets on an area of the stone and let sit for five minutes. If they soak in, then you need a sealer, if they dont, then dont bother. Many granite slabs are coming from the factories with a resin coating on them which pretty much makes them impervious.

Old 09-15-09, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tileguybob View Post
The sealer can be used on your countertop, but it may not be needed, and in fact a waste, if the granite wont absorb it. You can check it by putting some water droplets on an area of the stone and let sit for five minutes. If they soak in, then you need a sealer, if they dont, then dont bother. Many granite slabs are coming from the factories with a resin coating on them which pretty much makes them impervious.
no kidding. i'l try that.