Which thin set to use?????

Old 09-09-09, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Which thin set to use?????

I would like to know what type of thin set should I use for my 13x13 ceramic tile on the below mentioned floor, regular thin set or a flex type thin set? I have bags of regular thin set that came with the tile when I bought all my tile but don't want to use it if I shouldn't but will if you guys think it will work good with everything I did to my subfloor.

I finished putting in a new subfloor in my moms house, new 2x10s on 12"C and 3/4 t&g plywood. I just finished installing the concrete wonder board, I used a flex type thin set between the wonder board and the plywood.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-09, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All depends on what brand of thinset you got. Both would work just fine if it's a decent quality.

Old 09-09-09, 09:06 PM
You should be using a modified thin set mortar when installing over any CBU that I've ever seen. In addition those 13" tiles you have might be porcelain, and if so you have no choice anyway.

Specifically what tile do you have? What brand and type of mortar? How old is it?

Jaz

Old 09-10-09, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post

Specifically what tile do you have? What brand and type of mortar? How old is it?

Jaz

the tiles are 13x13 "Ceramic", the mortar is "Crest Plata", the bags say it is for high and medium water absorption tile.

I think I may go on the safe side and just get some type of flex type thin set, I've spent to much on the floor now to start skimping

Old 09-10-09, 03:40 PM
If your unsupported span is under 15' you should be good to go. Going over the cement board, you can use a modified thinset like Versabond from HD. For about $10 a bag more you can go up to the FlexBond. Good stuff, maybe over kill but you are buying insurance with the extra money

Old 09-10-09, 08:40 PM
You need to use a modified thinset anyway, so do as Bob said or find one from Lowes or you can even try a "real" tile shop. Look for a spec that says it meets A118.4 and/or A118.11. If it says A118.1, it's regular dry-set unmodified thin set and is the wrong stuff.

Just for curiosity I would still like to know about this "Crest Plata" thin set mortar. Neither I nor Mr. Google have ever heard of it. Please supply the manufacturer, the type and any other info. Where did you get it? Locally, mail order?

Jaz