Putting down peel and stick tile

Old 09-21-09, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting down peel and stick tile

I need help on what I should do....Old house , kitchen being remodel. Pulled 5 layers off the floor , got down to the wood floor, great shape ..but the first layer they used was tar paper..I can't get it all up ...Question do I have to put a plywood floor over this so the tile will stick or will the tile be ok on what left of the tar paper..I have scraped and scraped the floor ...its level but a very thin black paper is still there .

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-09, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! You will need an almost pristine floor in order to lay peel and stick. Have you considered using a product such as Allure or other comparables? Same principal, but it floats and only the edges stick to each other, forming a great bond and great look. It comes in several designs such as wood, slate, etc. I would recommend a product like this over peel and stick. Check it out.

Old 09-22-09, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had pretty much the same problem as you on my moms house almost 18 years ago(wood subfloor), I ended up putting a layer of 1/8" luan and rolled on some kind of liquid to seal the luan and then put down the peel and stick. I never had any issues with it lifting or anything like that. The tile finally wore out so much that this time I have decided to put down ceramic tile.