thinset directly on subfloor??

Old 09-22-09, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thinset directly on subfloor??

I have Structurwood Edge Gold subfloor down and am planning on putting tile on it in a laundry room. before I put down the backer board I was told I need to put a coat of thinset directly on the subfloor before setting the backer board and screwing it down. is the Structurwood edge gold ready for the thinset or does it need to be waterproofed or laminated before the thinset is applied.

how necessary is the thinset under the backerboard - this is a brand new house

thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-09, 07:23 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You must bed all cement boards in a fresh bed of thinset and then screw or nail them to the subfloor. All manufacturers of cement board require this. Go to the manufacturer's website and read their instructions as to any and all requirements for their board.

Structurwood Edge Gold - I'm not familiar with this product, so I googled it. It looks like OSB, yes. If thats what it is, then you don't need to do anything to it before applying the thinset.

If you will be installing cement board on anything more 16" oc spaced joints, you may want to do some research before you go any further. It seems like Ilevel likes to market this subflooring as part of a system with TJI joists which are typically spaced either 19.2" or 24". This is a problem with cement boards.

Old 09-23-09, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks, the joists are 16 oc