Layout shower wall with half-wall

Old 09-30-09, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Layout shower wall with half-wall

One side of my shower has a half wall. I am trying to layout the back wall. Here is what it looks like:

I know that I should run a center line, and then tile out from the center so that the cut tiles will be at the edges. There are two different field widths here, however. There is the width above the half wall (the tile will extend over the ledge, providing a surface for a glass wall), and that below the half-wall. I figure the focal point will be above the wall, so I was planning on doing that. The problem is, however, that the width below the wall ledge is perfectly 12 uncut tiles (you can see them on the floor). I have a 3" bullnose trim tile that I am using above the wall (you can see it resting on the ledge). If I go with the 12 uncut tiles, then I end up with a 1-3/4" gap before the trim tile.

I can center for the upper section, and balance the cuts, but then to carry the line down the wall, the cuts on the right side will be out of whack with the other side and look bad.

What would be the best way to lay this out?

Thanks,
~john

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-09, 08:15 PM
Hi John,

There are two way of doing that wall. You can do it as the tiles are laid-out now and cut tile to fit to the bullnose, remembering that you will have a glass enclosure that may have framing to cover the cut tiles up to about 6'. Or have full tile to the bullnose and 1 3/4" cuts into the inside corner on the left. Both ways will look good but I prefer #2 since I try not to cut tiles that meet the trim. Anyway, this way will give you some wiggle room in case that inside corner is not plumb.

So, I see you've used some Redguarg, you gonna use some more? How is the curb built? Is there a pre-slope under the shower pan membrane?

Jaz

Old 10-07-09, 11:17 PM
As per the 1 3/4" cuts, wouldn't it look bad to have that small of a cut?

This is what I am thinking:

This would give me cuts of +2" on both sides below the wall, but above the wall it would only be cut on one side. You raise a good point that there would be framing for the glass there, so maybe it is fine.

Yes, I am going to redgaurd the rest of it, but just haven't done it yet. The curb and the cement board was sub'd out by my GC during my remodel two years ago (just now getting back to this).

Thanks!
~john

Old 10-08-09, 08:57 PM
That's exactly how I would do it.

I'll bet you don't have a slope under the shower pan membrane, do you? Well, too late now I guess. Be sure to apply enough Redguard to get the thickness the manufacturer wants. May take 3-4 coats. Do you have a pic of the curb?

Jaz