Problem Cutting Title with a Wet Saw....

Old 10-14-09, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem Cutting Title with a Wet Saw....

I'm trying to replace my flooring in a laundry room/bathroom down in my basement.

In the middle of the room, I've got a drain and the floor slopes quite a bit around it....

The tile I've got is 12"x12" (approx. It's actually more like 11.75). The tile is way to big to conform to the slope of the floor near the drain. I'm not sure if it matters, but tile is porcelain.

My plan was to cut the tile into nice and neat little squares. I figured 2"x2" or so. I knew it would be a huge pain the butt, but I figured it be the best choice.

My problem is that whenever I cut the tiles with my wet saw the cut is....rough. All of my other cuts are against the wall and will be covered when finished, so I don't mind. But the tile ends up with a bunch of tiny chips along the cut edge.

Is there something I can do to avoid that? My saw was used once before and I remember it doing the same thing (but not caring). Would a new blade help? Is cutting the tile into tiny squares a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-09, 10:20 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That's why except for compound cuts I always use a tile cutter not a wet saw. A score and break will almost always give a cleaner cut in my experience but I have only used cheap tile saws so maybe the expensive ones give better cuts.

Note get one with a guide and each piece will be exactly the same size

Old 10-14-09, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
That's why except for compound cuts I always use a tile cutter not a wet saw. A score and break will almost always give a cleaner cut in my experience but I have only used cheap tile saws so maybe the expensive ones give better cuts.

Note get one with a guide and each piece will be exactly the same size
Thanks for the post. I'll give it a try.

Old 10-14-09, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your wet saw probably has wobble in the blade causing the chipping. For small cuts I usually use the klinker cutter like above or a 4" angle grinder.