POLL: Wet tile walked on after 5 - 6 hours

Old 10-14-09, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question POLL: Wet tile walked on after 5 - 6 hours

Someone carefully stepped dead center on about 2 or 3 tiles to reach an area on the counter in the kitchen. She stepped slowly and balance was to dead center on each tile. It was only 5 - 6 hours wet and a/c has been running all day/night.

POLL: DO YOU THINK THESE TILES WILL FAIL/CRACK/SLIDE AS A RESULT OF WALKING ON THEM IN THIS MANNER, THIS EARLY WHILE STILL WET?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-09, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I'm not a tile expert [and they should be along later] but I've painted a lot of new construction and that is the accepted way to walk on fresh tile - sometimes it can't be avoided. I would think it would be alright.

Old 10-15-09, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
but I've painted a lot of new construction and that is the accepted way to walk on fresh tile
I'm sure the tile setters would love to hear that Mark. Not sure if there's a accepted way to walk on wet tile......tile should not see traffic until the next day. Numerous times tile contractors have to go back to the site and correct tiles that now had lippage due to people walking on it while it was wet. That's like saying it's acceptable for carpet layers to lay carpet when you just painted the walls.

Old 10-15-09, 08:09 PM
Another reason why I don't do builder work. Too many painters who don't give a crap.

Jaz

Old 10-16-09, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Hey, I always tried to respect everyone else's work! not that I got the same in return
There have been very few times that I ever had to get on freshly laid tile but I couldn't count the times I've seen other trades, the builder and homeowners step on the tile. Whenever care was used, I was never aware of any issues with the tile and as the painter, I was always the last one to finish working on the house [other than the cleaners] and the majority of punch list or warranty work usually required me to go back and touch up whatever the other trades had messed up.

Old 10-17-09, 02:12 AM
Exclamation

Well, thanks ya'll. I think if care was taken and stepping lightly in the dead center it should PROBABLY (?) be ok. 2 incidents of it so far, but tomorrow we'll be done & can stop worrying about wet tile walkers and kids that don't listen for hell. Doing the whole house. Kitchen and 2 bathrooms. Bathrooms finishing tomorrow.

Old 10-17-09, 04:45 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Jazman, not sure what you do, but dissing on other trades can backfire on you. As Marksr said, and I am sure he has had to re do after someone brushed up against his perfect paint job. Framers frame, rockers rock, trimmers trim, and painters make 'em all look good. So, tread carefully talking about other trades, please.

Old 10-17-09, 07:00 AM
Nothing but love..... Typing this to comply with the lame char limits.