Regrouting Nightmares!

Old 10-15-09, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Regrouting Nightmares!

How do you find some to regrout that is good. I cringe at the thought of hiring someone to regrout (especially bathrooms).

I find that most so called professions, that regrout, do a poor job. These are the reasons why:

Do not remove enough old grout.

Use wrong tools to remove grout.

Chip and damage tiles.

Know nothing about "grout vs caulk" rules.

Use the wrong tools and damage delicate surfaces when removing caulk, ie. aluminum shower door frames, fiberglass tubs, chrome fixtures.

Use latex caulk on areas previous sealed with silicone sealer (it will never never adhere)

It does no good to ask them about these issues directly. First, they will resent all the questions and second, they will say they will not do these thinks and do them anyway.

SO, HOW DO I FIND SOMEONE THAT WILL REGROUT PROPERLY.

This is a serious problem, I don't want to suffer damages to my property, because of incompetence or simply lack of caring nor so I want a poorly done job that I will have to redone in a short period of time.

Thank you, mr

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-09, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need to find a contractor that deals specifically in tile setting. You do not want to hire these fly by night general type contractors. Ask for references, look for photos, call your local government and see if that contractor is licenced and bonded, etc.

Old 10-15-09, 05:10 PM
hotinokc, Tile contractor are who I've been asking! They are the ones who are telling me, that caulk over grout is the correct way to seal a change of plane. What about my premise, do I have the correct understanding? Which is, "do not use grout at a change of plane, only use caulk/silicone"
What do you make of tile contractors not knowing the correct way?

thanks

mike

Old 10-15-09, 05:20 PM
Mike,

I got your PM, thanks.

According to the TCNA (Tile Council of North America), all changes in plane need to be caulked, BUT, there is success in grouting some of these areas as well. A reputable tile contractor would know this. I've grouted where the wall meets the shower pan many of times with no problems, but always caulk my wall corners. I don't see a huge problem with caulking over a grout joint.

This would be in the TCNA Handbook, Method #EJ 171

Think of the TCNA as the industry standard. Just like plumbers have their plumbing code, etc.

Old 10-15-09, 08:05 PM
I don't like the practice of caulking over grout at all. I've seen poor results in most cases. It is inevitable that moisture in going to penetrate grout, but if covered with caulk the grout has a hard time drying out. Results, mold behind the caulk.

It is best to caulk changes of plane and where dissimilar materials meet. However......I have on occasion grouted inside corners with perfect results. The corner must be built correctly either with taped CBU corners or now over Kerdi. If the corner can not be monolithic you need to caulk. Of course often the right thing is not done because the competition doesn't do it to keep the price down.

That's an example where competition results in poor workmanship, kinda backwards I think.

Jaz

Old 10-19-09, 09:26 AM
HOtinOKC & Jazman, thank you for your advice. Jazman, you stated "I don't like the practice of caulking over grout at all", so how do you prevent the the caulk from falling in on an inside corner? I removed all the cracked grout on the inside corners of my shower, with the grout removed there is nothing there act as a backing for the caulk. Without a backing, how will I know how much caulk to put into the joint, as it will just keep pushing out the back side of the joint. Thank you mike

Old 10-19-09, 03:07 PM
They sell backing rods for this purpose. Should have them at the home centers.