Mud Pan shower, 1921 house, pier and beam

Old 10-18-09, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mud Pan shower, 1921 house, pier and beam

Hi - we are renovating a 1921 arts and craft bungalow, and want to replace the existing cast tub (circa 1960) with a mud pan custom shower. The floor is heart pine, and in pretty good shape. It was previously covered with linoleum, and was starting to let water through. We are torn between leaving the heart pine floor and covering with a lot of urethane, or tiling the entire bathroom (its not big, it used to be the only closet in the house). The shower we want to have a tile pan and a seat, etc. Does anyone have words of advice either way on the wood floor, and what do we need to do for our mud pan? We think we need to lay down a plywood (1/2" thk) sub over the pine floor, thinset and screw a hardiback board over that (1/2") then frame up, attach a liner, and pour the concrete pan over that. We have a plumber that will come and fit and level the drain before we pour. Is there anything we are missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-09, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No expert..but seems like a lot of work unless its an odd shape. I do know you have some steps that aren't right. You don't put the liner over a flat surface like that. You need a sloped sand mix I believe, then the liner, then yer mud, then tile. Could be a little off or have missed something..but thats basically right.

Much simpler and leakproof to go with the Schluter system...just do a search for Schluter Kerdi. It does cost a bit more..but the simplicity and time savings is worth the extra in most opinions.

The Pro's should be around soon.

Old 10-19-09, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dave,

Seems you're confusing the steps for the bath floor with the construction of the shower, or maybe I am?

Bathroom floor; Re-fasten the old subfloor. Add 1/2" underlayment grade ply., then install your favorite CBU as you stated with thin set, screws or roofing nails, tape etc. Or, install Ditra matting instead of the CBU. Then tiles etc.

Showers are a different animal. You should first do some research and learn about the standard "old method", shower pan. - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Then learn about my favorite shower system because unlike the others it is waterproof. Look for Kerdi here. Picasa Web Albums - Tile 4 You Inc.

Jaz