Tile installation costs: bid vs per foot price?

Old 10-20-09, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile installation costs: bid vs per foot price?

Hi all,
My wife and I are contemplating a remodel of our master bathroom. This would include laying new floor tile,tiling a shower surround which currently has a fiberglass surround in that space and lastly re-tiling a platform deck that is built up to hold a 6' soaking tub. My plan is to handle the demo of the bathroom myself (removal of old tile-shower surround-tub and floor linoleum) and hire out the tiling and hook up of new sinks,tub and all faucets.

My question regarding the tiling portion of this job is as follows:

What is the "going" rate,if there is one for tile installation in the circumstances described above? We live in Madison WI for what that's worth. For some reason I have a figure of $2.50/SF in my head but do not know if this is valid. Does a SF price generally assume that the surfaces are completely ready for tile installation?

Under what circumstances would a contractor want to charge by the job instead of quoting a SF price and what advantages does this bid offer either the homeowner or the contractor?

Thanks for any thoughts regarding this matter.

Cheers,
wvdthree

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-09, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello.

Rates vary by location so take that into account. Around my part, I would not take less then $5sqft, and that if everything else was perfect, which it never is. I would charge another $1-2 sqft to install cement board, another $3-4 for custom install (brick pattern, pinwheel, etc).

You could get a hack job contractor for $2.50 foot, but you get what you pay for.

Tile setters almost always charge by the job, because each job is different.

Old 10-20-09, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the reality check

Thanks for bringing me back to earth. I felt that figure of $2.50 was to good to be true!!! As I've been doing some more looking around $5.00 for straight forward tile installation (no small,intricate detail tiles etc) seems to be a common ballpark figure.

Old 10-20-09, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Get a few bids and you will see what the going rate is in your area. Also, when a contractors bid is very cheap compared to others, that usually means he is a hack and uses inferior products and methods.And when a contractors bid is extremely high compared to others, it may mean he over bid and didn't want the job. Full bathroom reno's are not cheap by anymeans, but if you can do the removal of the old, that will help.

Old 10-20-09, 05:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Recently there was a post in here from a guy whose GF negotiated a real great price foe a tile install. The hack she hired was actually installing it on laminate flooring that had in turn been installing over sheet vinyl. The installer was half done before he could stop him. He had to pull up the already stalled tile himself and prepare the floor himself. Not much of a bargain price in the end.

Old 10-20-09, 07:45 PM
$2.50 a sq. ft. for bathroom work....now that is funny.

That might be Ok for a large wide open floor like a 1,000 ft. basement or in a department store.

Labor for showers generally start at about 2K if it's not complicated or too large. (3x4) There's a lot of work in building a shower correctly. Most showers take me about 5 days.

Get a few quotes from qualified licensed tile setters and have them xplain how the work will be done and with what materials and methods, Them come back here.

Jaz

p.s. I recommend Kerdi showers. Picasa Web Albums - Tile 4 You Inc.