I didn't seal the gap between cement board and pan

Old 10-21-09, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I didn't seal the gap between cement board and pan

Is this going to be a disaster? Can I fix it?

The pan was floated and the cement board was installed during my basement remodel 1.5 years ago. I finally got around to dealing with the tile this summer. The floor tiles came in, but the wall tiles were back ordered. I had some time while the family was visiting the grandparents, and I decided to tackle the floor tiles (including grouting).

I recently had time to do some more work on it. I was RedGaurding the walls, when it occurred to me that I had blundered and not done anything with the 1/8" gap between the shower pan and the cement board. If you look in this picture, the cement board goes down to the floor behind the pan:

I have not put any wall tiles on, but the floor is done. I still have access to the gap, though in places it is obscured by mortar and/or grout. Is there something I can do? Need I? There is a water proofing barrier behind the cement board and under the pan. The shower is on the concrete floor of the basement, so no structural damage to flooring would happen if there was a leak.

It seems my options are:
a. Just caulk the joint as normal when I do the wall tiles.
b. Try to clean the gap and then caulk down into it.
c. Try to clean the gap, and then force some RedGaurd down it.
d. Try to remove a row (1x1") tiles and put down a more serious barrier.

I am not sure I could even remove the tiles. With a floated bed, I am assuming the bed would be damaged.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
~john

P.S. I aknowledge it was a bad idea to start with the floor by the way. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-09, 11:51 PM
bump.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks,
~john

Old 10-24-09, 07:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what we are dealing with here. The lower end of the cement board should have been hidden/secured with the final mud bed layer. How was this shower pan constructed?

I can't tell what we are looking at in the picture, but from your description of the situation, I would just fill the gap with thinset.

Old 10-24-09, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the question on how it was constructed. I realized I was just panicing w/o really thinking it through. when I remembered how it was constructed, there is a CPE pan and weep holes in the drain for the very purpose of capturing anything that leaks down.

I should think it though before I get all worked up.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-09, 07:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there a preslope UNDER the CPE liner so any water that does get onto the liner can drain into the weep holes?