removing old ceramic tile adhesive

Old 05-12-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
I am removing some of the tile around my bathtub because the drywall behind it has been water damaged. I plan to install the same tile after the wallboard has been replaced. How do I remove the old adhesive from the backs of the tiles so I can reuse the tile????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-00, 08:03 PM
Visiting Guest
It really depends on what the adhesive is.
Try a Hot polyurethane and epoxy stripper. This may heat it up enough its a mastic. If not chisel away slowly and carfully. I have even Use a file to shape and remove.

------------------
Gary Goel/Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing. <A HREF="http://www.newkote.com
We" TARGET=_blank>http://www.newkote.com
We</A> are just a shade better...
[email protected]

Old 05-20-00, 01:17 PM
Visiting Guest
I asked this question two years ago on this forum and received no replies!! Since then I found that this worked on the adhesive I was dealing with. Soak a batch of tiles in water for 2 days. Then place in freezer until froken. I could chisel the adhesive off quite easily then.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wizard:
I am removing some of the tile around my bathtub because the drywall behind it has been water damaged. I plan to install the same tile after the wallboard has been replaced. How do I remove the old adhesive from the backs of the tiles so I can reuse the tile???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-26-00, 02:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I had this problem one time. Couldn't find replacement tile and had to clean the old ones. Soak overnight in a mixture of about 2/3 water and 1/3 muratic acid. Pour the acid in the water to prevent reactions and splashes of acid. This worked great for me.

Old 06-07-00, 01:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Take great care with muratic (also known as muriatic or hydrocloric) acid. Search wwww for how to dispose. Nasty stuff to be using at home.