Tiling over exsisting surfaces

Old 06-16-00, 03:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a house built in 1950 and remodled in the 70's (not very professionally). In one of the bathrooms the wall around the tub and the part of the wall in the rest of the room under a 'chair rail' moulding is covered with the old 'score board' that was meant to look like tile. It has been painted over at least once. My question is ...can I tile over this surface ...or does it have to be removed?

[This message has been edited by Purplmyst (edited June 16, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-00, 11:02 PM
Visiting Guest
The bond is only as good as substrate is prepared. So, I would tear out since a painted surface is a poor substrate for bonding to.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Purplmyst:
I just bought a house built in 1950 and remodled in the 70's (not very professionally). In one of the bathrooms the wall around the tub and the part of the wall in the rest of the room under a 'chair rail' moulding is covered with the old 'score board' that was meant to look like tile. It has been painted over at least once. My question is ...can I tile over this surface ...or does it have to be removed?

[This message has been edited by Purplmyst (edited June 16, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>