Can I replace single ceramic tiles on mud floor?

Old 06-17-00, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I needed the drain fixed in my shower. The plumber had to break out the old floor, fix the drain, put in a new liner, and then pour a new floor using mortar (or "mud").

The tile guy that the plumber used did a *terrible* job laying tile over the mortar. When we asked him to redo it, he said that the whole floor would have to be torn out, and that we would new a new liner. Apparently, it is not possible to pop out the tiles on the shower floor because chunks of mortar would come up with the tiles.

Anyway, I was wondering whether it would be possible to replace some of the more crooked and cracked tiles (this guy was just the worst!). I was thinking of using a drill with a cutting tip to cut through individual tiles. I thought that this would allow me to remove these tiles without damaging the mortar underneath. Is this just wishful thinking?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-00, 08:15 PM
Visiting Guest
See Reply to this question in Baths forum

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tobor:
I needed the drain fixed in my shower. The plumber had to break out the old floor, fix the drain, put in a new liner, and then pour a new floor using mortar (or "mud").

The tile guy that the plumber used did a *terrible* job laying tile over the mortar. When we asked him to redo it, he said that the whole floor would have to be torn out, and that we would new a new liner. Apparently, it is not possible to pop out the tiles on the shower floor because chunks of mortar would come up with the tiles.

Anyway, I was wondering whether it would be possible to replace some of the more crooked and cracked tiles (this guy was just the worst!). I was thinking of using a drill with a cutting tip to cut through individual tiles. I thought that this would allow me to remove these tiles without damaging the mortar underneath. Is this just wishful thinking?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>