WHERE TILE MEETS TUB

Old 06-28-00, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I reside in a new home. I had the home built five years ago and am very happy with all aspects of the home. In our master bath, we opted for tiled walls with an oversized tub. Several times now during this five year period I have had to recaulk to space between the tile and tub because I felt it was likely leaking. The small portion of wall that abuts the tub will get wet and the wall board has actually been replaced as well. Can this space between the tub and tile be grouted instead of caulked? Is there a better caulk I should buy? HELP!?!?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-00, 09:14 AM
Visiting Guest
yes. It can be grouted, then caulked. I have seen recessed grout lines then caulk to make it come flush with the tub. However,you could try the caulk adhesive. You must remove all the old caulk first and clean the surface for a good bond.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cworth1:
I reside in a new home. I had the home built five years ago and am very happy with all aspects of the home. In our master bath, we opted for tiled walls with an oversized tub. Several times now during this five year period I have had to recaulk to space between the tile and tub because I felt it was likely leaking. The small portion of wall that abuts the tub will get wet and the wall board has actually been replaced as well. Can this space between the tub and tile be grouted instead of caulked? Is there a better caulk I should buy? HELP!?!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-03-00, 03:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Clean the old caulk out. Clean the surfaces with denatured alcohol. Fill the tub with water and then caulk with a silicone caulk. The old caulk is failing because the tub is deflecting when water and people are in it. It stretches the caulk thereby breaking the bond between the tile and tub surface.

CLEAN BEFORE CAULKING.