Indoor Concrete Floors

Old 06-27-00, 08:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am thinking of ripping up the of carpet and finishing the conrete slab. Can anyone advise me on painting or sealing the concete? Or is this even a good idea. I have also given some thought to mixing sand with the paint to provide texture and less chance of slipping. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-27-00, 10:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Visit the http://www.ppg.com web school. PPG owns many trade marks like pittsburg paints, lucite paint, and many more. They have an online paint school and the instructions for coating concrete are there.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fishman:
I am thinking of ripping up the of carpet and finishing the conrete slab. Can anyone advise me on painting or sealing the concete? Or is this even a good idea. I have also given some thought to mixing sand with the paint to provide texture and less chance of slipping. Any comments? Thanks in advance.<HR>

Old 06-28-00, 04:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can both seal and paint your concrete. It is done every day. You must clean it first, very clean. Then paint using concrete paint, and then seal using a concrete sealer. This can be purchased at any Home Improvement store. Easy to apply.

Old 07-08-00, 08:53 AM
Visiting Guest
I am thinking of ripping up the of carpet and finishing the conrete slab. Can anyone advise me on painting or sealing the concete? Or is this even a good idea. I have also given some thought to mixing sand with the paint to provide texture and less chance of slipping. Any comments? Thanks in advance.<HR>

Old 07-08-00, 09:00 AM
Visiting Guest

I have painted three of my bedroom concrete floors. I am satisfied with the floors, but it is an incredible amount of work just to get the concrete ready for painting. You need to remove all the carpet adhesive. I found using an adhesive remover best and then a putty knife and then finally sanding all traces of the adhesive. For the holes left in the concrete, I filled it with concrete patch, but then found for a smooth finish, I used dryway patch as a final thin topcoat. Finally before you paint, I used a product that is shaped like a paint sleeve, but is actually double-sided tape to remove any dust, or debri. Also after you put on your first coat of primer, you can then see all the flaws in your concrete and have a second chance of making any repairs. Good Luck! Remember all the floor boards will have to be lowered.

Old 07-10-00, 12:49 AM
Visiting Guest

Literature I have read have indicated when placing tile over a slab of cement, in your case indoor, is to clean the area. The cement should not be painted, but washed clean of debris. Check for natural or purposeful cement cracks. There is a mesh used to cover cement cracks, mortar is used thinly over the mesh to cover and help the mesh stick. The following day, you should have a flat and dry surface, then proceed to install your tile with your grout. Need reference material just ask and I will be happy to down load or give you the name of a magazine which recently covers this topic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: