Help! I need shower wall tile advice.

Old 07-08-00, 10:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I hope I haven't done my first tile project wrong!! I installed tile to my shower/tub surround. I used Hardi-backer stuck to green board with mastic and Rock On screws. I think so far so good. Problem #1 is that there is a 1/2" or so joint between the wall and the bullnose edge tiles (they don't wrap around) and I filled the gap with sanded grout. Should I finish with quarter round?
Problem #2 is the gap between tile and tub is about the same (1/2") I left it un-grouted
so I could caulk, is this right? Problem #3 is that I stopped short of the shower head on my vertical tile run. The top row is about 6" from shower head, is this a problem,
code or otherwise?
Thank You, this is a great resource.

Old 07-09-00, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Stopping short of the shower head should not be a problem.

The 1/2" gap between the tile and the tube is another story. The gap should have been approx. 1/8" and it should be caulked. It has to be a flexible joint as the tub moves when water and people are in it. Grout won't do it.

As for the problem on the wall,you may be able to use qtr. round to fill the gap. But, will it get wet. If it does it will eventually dry rot. Shoe mold is smaller and it might work. They make shoe and qtr. round in plastic.

Old 07-09-00, 11:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, what is shoe mold? Could I use mastic to adhere this shoe mold to my perimeter then caulk the joints (or grout?) What is normally used to seal the tile from the wall at the edge?

Thanks

Old 07-10-00, 07:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Shoe mold is almost like quarter round but 1 side does not extend out as far as qtr. round. It may work for you. Your local building supply store will have it. It is normally placed at the bottom of baseboards where wooden floors , vinyl or ceramic tile is used. You can put it up with mastic or adhesive caulk. I would use caulk to seal around it. However the grout will do if you cannot find a caulk in the right color. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: