Particle board as a sub-floor?

Old 11-18-09, 08:41 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Particle board as a sub-floor?

I need to select a floor for my 100 sq. ft kitchen. As it currently stands, the subfloor is 1/2í plywood with 3/4' particle board on top. These rest on 2x8 joists spaced 16í on center. The 3/4' particle board is already flush with the finished hardwood floor from the hallway, so I would like to prevent adding more sub-flooring material. Replacing the particle board is out of the question at this stage. The middle of the kitchen also needs to be leveled.

Given the particle board, can I use ceramic tile? Given my sub-floor situation is there any type of flooring that I canít use (ceramic, porcelain, laminate, vinyl, etc)?

Ideally, Iíd like to use a porcelain tile but from what Iím reading, particle board isnít tile friendly.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-09, 10:44 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Replacing the particle board is out of the question at this stage.
If you are unwilling to remove the particle board, then ceramic/porcelain tile is out of the question.

Even if you remove the particle board, you have issues. 1/2" subfloor is not adequate for a ceramic tile installation. You would need to add at least another layer of 5/8" plywood and then a proper tile underlayment such as cement board or isolation membrane.

You should be ok with vinyl or laminate however.

These rest on 2x8 joists spaced 16í on center.
What is the unsupported span of the floor joists?

Old 11-18-09, 11:32 AM
I
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
If you are unwilling to remove the particle board, then ceramic/porcelain tile is out of the question.
Unfortunately, it would be too much of a hassel to uninstall all of the countertops in order to do this.

Even if you remove the particle board, you have issues. 1/2" subfloor is not adequate for a ceramic tile installation. You would need to add at least another layer of 5/8" plywood and then a proper tile underlayment such as cement board or isolation membrane.
So I can't apply a leveling compound and then 1/4' backerboard ontop of the partical board?

Ironically, I inquired about professional installation and he told me they would apply some type of 1/8 fiberglass mesh directly over the partical board.

You should be ok with vinyl or laminate however.
What type of underlayment is needed for vinyl? Can it be glued directly to the partical board?

What is the unsupported span of the floor joists?
Not sure I understand the question but about 14 inches between the joists.

Old 11-18-09, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just to help....span is how LONG the joists are between supports. If the ends rested on 2 concrete piers 14ft apart with nothing in the middle..the span would be 14ft.

Old 11-18-09, 12:00 PM
I
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Just to help....span is how LONG the joists are between supports. If the ends rested on 2 concrete piers 14ft apart with nothing in the middle..the span would be 14ft.
Duh! I should know that. Thank you.

Span is 11 ft.

Old 11-18-09, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unfortunately, it would be too much of a hassel to uninstall all of the countertops in order to do this.
I can almost guarentee a tile floor failure if you install tile over particle board. You will be wasting your time and money.

So I can't apply a leveling compound and then 1/4' backerboard ontop of the partical board?

Ironically, I inquired about professional installation and he told me they would apply some type of 1/8 fiberglass mesh directly over the partical board.
No. Whoever you talked to had no clue on what they were talking about. Period. They are not professionals if they mentioned this.

What type of underlayment is needed for vinyl? Can it be glued directly to the partical board?
Vinyl could go directly over particle board.

Old 11-18-09, 02:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Vinyl tiles won't stick to particle board. Had to do it one time to convince a customer who had already tried and failed it just couldn't be done. It sticks well to the particles on top but the particles on top just pull away from the particles below. Sort of like tiling a beach. The sand sticks to the tile but not the sand underneath. Now sheet vinyl you might get away with for a while but honestly if a customer asked me to do it I would refuse.

The other problem is the sponge effect. If it ever gets wet, and certainly that can happen in a kitchen, it swells up and won't go back to shape when it drys. A leak in a cabinet unnoticed can wreak havoc.

Old 11-30-09, 07:54 PM
C
We are unfortunate to have particle board subfloor as well. I have come to the conclusion its ok for carpet as long as it never gets wet. We have had to pull alot of it out of our bedroom and replace it because at some time it got wet and swelled.... And we were putting in pergo floors.
Our particle board is 1/2 on top of 1/2 inch plywood subfloor.
Could you pull up the particle board and replace it with 1/2 inch plywood and then put 1/4 hardibacker down?

Our board was nailed to the plywood and came up easily and quickly where it had never been wet.

I feel your pain.

Old 11-30-09, 08:12 PM
H
I am in the carpet cleaning/water restoration business and I hate particle board. Like posts mentioned above, once that stuff gets wet, there is no saving it! I can't believe how many "nice" homes have used it. I will refuse to use it in any projects I do.