Removing Mortar from Glazed Ceramic Tile.

Old 09-13-00, 12:05 PM
Visiting Guest
I've recently installed some new ceramic tile in my kitchen. While laying the tile I got some mortar build up on the tile surface. The tile I'm using is a glazed tile and I don't know what to use to remove the mortar. I'm afraid of damaging the surface of the tile. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
JJ

Old 09-13-00, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
If its a light buildup of thinset, try scraping it off with a single edge razor blade. You may use a chisel to scrape it off. Be careful and Gool Luck.

Old 09-14-00, 08:14 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by R. L. Boatright:
If its a light buildup of thinset, try scraping it off with a single edge razor blade. You may use a chisel to scrape it off. Be careful and Gool Luck.<HR>

Thanks. I was hoping there was an easier way.

Old 09-14-00, 08:33 PM
Visiting Guest
JJ:

If this is thin set mortar you've got on it, I would wipe it down with some acetone on a rag. If you had used ordinary thin set without any additives, you'd be able to rub that thin set off with your thumb (at least you can with Mapei's Keribond Grey with no additives added). What's making the thin set hard is not the cement in it, but the acrylic additives (pronounced "glue"), and acetone cuts through acrylics like a warm knife through butter. You can also dissolve the spots with some CLR, but keep it away from your grout lines.

Why use a glazed wall tile on a counter top? To my knowledge, any tile with a glazed surface is meant to be on a wall, and just doesn't have the strength to be underfoot. I would have used an attractive floor tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: