Tile up to or underneath dishwasher?

Old 09-24-00, 11:57 AM
Visiting Guest
What is the common practice in the community, tiling underneath the dishwasher or up to it? I am afraid of tiling it in its place if I don't go under. With backerboard and tile the is contact on the motor without mud yet. I know I can loosen the countertop, but I am trying to avoid that. Do dishwasher come in standard heights and clearance's underneath?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-00, 09:02 PM
Visiting Guest
T:

On my sister's dishwasher you can adjust the height of the legs. You should be able to on yours. Normally the front ones screw up and down and the back ones are like levers that you raise or lower by turning a long rod that reaches to the front of the machine for easy access.

I would definitely tile under the dishwasher. This will protect your floor from water leaks which will eventually occur with any appliance like that. Also, if you tile up to your dishwasher and it's under the counter, how are you going to get it out for repairs or replacement if you can't raise it that 1/2 inch to get it onto the tiles?

Old 09-24-00, 10:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Adding to what Nestor has said. There are a few models,(European and Domestic), that are about 1" shorter in height than the more or less standard 33 1/2-3/4" height. If adjusting or removing the legs won't do, replacement is an option.

Old 09-24-00, 11:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Another option: When we tiled our kitchen a couple of years ago, we raised the cabinet base and dishwasher up with pressure-treated plywood over the old vinyl to the same height as the new ceramic tile flooring, and just tiled to cabinet base and dw. (I do know of one person that put wood flooring down in his kitchen, and had to cut it out later to remove the old dishwasher. lol)
Good thinking on your part. Good Luck!