Marble

Old 10-10-00, 07:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am about to put down marble tile and I am looking for any suggestions and pitfalls to watch out for during installation. The tile is going on the floor over 1/2 cement backer. I am wanting to put it down with the edges butted together without any any grout. I have messed with other tiles and grout, but this is new grounds for me.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-00, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well . . . marble tiles are a horse of a different color.

I would recommend that you use a "toothpick joint" between the tiles. This is a very narrow joint that can be filled with wall tile grout (unsanded). And yes, you need a little grout for two reasons. The tiles will expand and contract a little and the grout will cushion them. Also, grout keeps crumbs and other debris from getting into the joints. Even butting the tiles together, you will have spaces, as you'll find that all the pieces are not precisely the same size.

If you haven't bought the material yet, I suggest you change to ceramic tile, a material much more forgiving than natural stone.

Good luck,

John
http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 10-12-00, 03:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I am also preparing to lay down marble flooring. I too have also laid ceramic tile, but I want to make sure I know what to use for underlayment, and what kind of adhesive to use. I do know you must use an adheasive with no water. I have been terribly frustrated by the complete lack of information about how to do this.

My opinion: GO FOR IT, you chose marble for a reason, right? Yes, marble may be more dificult, but it also can not be duplicated. I also was hoping to not use any grout, but YOU HAVE TO, just use a little. Most home improvement stores offer spacers that can be under 1/8". Just use UNSANDED grout, you'll be amazed at how good it looks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lucas072751:
I am about to put down marble tile and I am looking for any suggestions and pitfalls to watch out for during installation. The tile is going on the floor over 1/2 cement backer. I am wanting to put it down with the edges butted together without any any grout. I have messed with other tiles and grout, but this is new grounds for me.
Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-15-00, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ron,

I'm sorry for the way this will sound, but there is a shortage of information out there on installing marbe because most pros, including myself, do not consider it to be a DIY project. I will add that there are a great number of pro tile setters who are not competent to install marble tiles.

Again, I apologize for my bluntness.

John

[This message has been edited by John Bridge (edited October 16, 2000).]

Old 10-24-00, 05:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with John Bridge.
Marble is tricky and there are many tile contractors who are not qualified to install marble. Do yourself a great service and hire a contractor!! And then ask to see a Marble job that he has personally done. Look at the joints do they vary more than a 1/16th of an inch,(up and down 1/32 is better still) is it FLAT, are the joints STRAIGHT, if it looks GREAT after very close examination(get on your hands and knees and look!!!!) then hire him (or her) you will be happier in the long run. P.S. If you are planning to use Black or Green marble you MUST use Epoxy to set and grout it (especially serpentine style)

Good luck Rich Gately (tileman1) www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com