Natural slate tiles - interior

Old 11-06-00, 05:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Can anyone advise a DIY virgin how to lay approx 5 and half square yard of black slate on a concrete kitchen floor. Cheers.

Old 11-07-00, 04:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi Alan;
Coming from slate country (or close to it anyway) We have a good answer for you.
Installing Slate is essentially the same as installing ceramic tile what I would recommend for a first timer. Is get a book on the subject. My friend John Bridge (a community member here)Has a book on exactly that subject. You can get it by going to his site at: www.johnbridge.com
He is a knowledgeable fellow and I'm sure his book will help a bunch.
Once you get your slate installed and grouted you should seal it. There are lots of sealers available but, I personally like Aqua mix products or McCloskeys stone sealer. Good luck and Regards
Rich Gately (tileman1)
www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com

Old 11-07-00, 11:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Alan,

Rich forgot to mention that slate tiles, as well as other stone tiles, must be cut on a wet saw. You can't use a tile cutter. Also, slate tiles are never all the same thickness, so you'll have to use more thin set on some than on others. You do this by buttering the additional adhesive directly onto the backs of the tiles.

Other than that, the process is sort of like setting tile, and my book covers tile.

Regards,

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: