H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher removal

Our dishwasher's water discharge line seems to be clogged, and it is
located in the back of unit, so I have to pull out the dishwasher to
take it off. The problem is that it looks like the thick kitchen tile
was installed after the dishwasher was in place, so I can't get it
out! There are wood panels in place on the sides, so accessing from
the side is not an option. Ripping up that tile is not a good option.
You can see a vertical steel support attached with a screw in the
picture. One option would be to take the screw out, then pound that
steel support out of the way, which should allow enough clearance to
get the unit out, then pound the support back in place... Any better
ideas???

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/Gandhi_Freedom/Dishwasher.jpg[/URL]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-09, 07:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You may unscrew the countertop where the DW is located, lift up on it enough to get the washer out, do your maintenance and return it in reverse order. Of course you didn't say what your countertop was made of, so if it is granite, all bets are off. I doubt the line is clogged, but the trap in the dishwasher instead. Have you tried cleaning it from inside the dishwasher, yet? Backflushing from the drain end?

Old 12-05-09, 08:16 PM
H
Nope, there's not chance of raising the countertop. I did try cleaning the trap thoroughly, but it's still clogged. I haven't tried backflushing from the drain end. Are you suggesting to use the kitchen faucet to run water into the discharge line? Yes I will try that, but it doesn't seem like it would be possible to get enough water pressure. I guess I could also try pouring some drano in the DW. Thank you.

Old 12-05-09, 09:04 PM
J
Question Allowances for dishwasher problems with stone counter-tops and tile fioors

I am in the middle of a remodel. The big box store and their designer I went with didn't seem to think of this problem. How much clearance should you plan for when installing new cabinets, dishwasher and floor? I suddenly realized this problem and stopped the countertop production. Now I am preparing to have a contractor come back and build up the cabinets to allow for some space between the counter-top, the tile floor to be installed and yet be able to get the dishwasher out for future problems.

Old 12-06-09, 04:15 AM
Hinachan, don't do chemicals!! You can backflush with air if you have access to a portable tank, or long hose on a compressor.
Jim, welcome to the forums. Good advice. If I find there will be high tile installed after final subflooring,plus durock, I build up the cabinete (if already installed) top edge with a 1x2, on all surfaces. Not the ideal situation, but if you don't, and tile under the dishwasher area, you won't get it in, and if you don't tile under it with the DW in place, you won't get it out.

Old 12-06-09, 11:48 AM
J
Question

If I understand you correctly, you add a 1 x 2 to the top of the cabinet? Since I am adding to the bottom, I was thinking of a 5/8 OSB board, but was unsure if giving myself approximately 1/2-5/8 clearance that it would not be much better. However, I was also concerned about appearance at the top of the dishwasher, would a inch gap be too much. If placing 1 x2 under the foot of the cabinet, would it be stable and okay to have a granite counter top? It would be cheaper than laying out a double layered subfloor under the entire cabinets.

Old 12-06-09, 12:26 PM
Jim, are you pulling your cabinets? Obviously, since you said you would add subflooring. Yes, that would work. If you are pulling the cabinets, why not just go ahead and "skeleton" tile the cabinets at the cross points of the support members, or is your tile already in place? If you use the OSB, use it across the DW span, too, raising the dishwasher equally. That would do away with any gap at the top and it would, then, fit, as the cabinet base is made to fit in a dishwasher.
I only use the 1x2 where there is a countertop roll over to hide it. Granite, different ball game.

Old 12-06-09, 12:49 PM
J
Here is where I get confused. My concern is being able to get the dishwasher out if any problems developed such as a leak or if I'm lucky, the dishwasher wears out. If you install cabinets and plan to add a ceremac tile floor after the coutertop and cabinets are done, my understnading is you do not tile under the dishwasher. You mentioned putting the underlay at the space where the DW sits. That would put me back at having a 34 1/2 cabinet and and a 34" DW. If you install the tile floor, there is no room to get dW out. I planned on putting the underlay under the cabinets only, thus leaving at least 5/8" clearance to allow possible removal of the DW.

Old 12-06-09, 05:27 PM
No, that was only if you were pulling the cabinets and putting the subflooring under them as well, thereby raising everything the same amount. By raising the cabinets and subflooring under the DW, you haven't changed anything, but you have given yourself 3/4" more tile room in front of the DW. The cabinet will hold the DW, you just don't want to dig a hole to put it in.
If you put the underlay under the cabinets only, and not under where the DW will go, you will have dug a hole. With the underlay level with the bottom of the cabinets, your tile will butt up to the underlay and give you a level plane to pull out the DW.
All this only if you don't decide to tile under the cabinets as well, which would be my first choice just for aesthetics.