Bad tile = grout sticking to tile

Old 11-22-00, 07:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Not being leary of the "Special" price on the tile I bought I now know why!! I have come to the conclusion that the special was due to the lack of enough glaze on the tile. After grouting I found that the grout was sticking to the tiles, mainly in the stone type vein/pattern. Scrubbing them out was the only way of getting the grout removed. But, I could not get to all of them before they completely dried.
Does anyone know of an easy way to get the grout removed from my less than perfect glazed tiles? With out taking off the glaze? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-00, 06:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Jones,

Tiles with depressions in them seem to be popular these days. We've run into quite a few otherwise fine tiles that are impossible to clean. I try to steer away from them, but this isn't what you're after.

Unfortunately, if there are serious grout deposits remaining in the depressions, there is no practical way to remove them. Light grout residue is normally removed with acid, but the concentration needed to remove actual grout would probably destroy the glaze on the tiles.

I am sorry to be the bearer of such sad tidings, and I sincerely hope someone else will come along and say I'm full of it, but I think I'm right.

John
http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 11-23-00, 01:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hey Jones;
John is right acid wil probably destroy your tile and you would not be happy. You can try this but, it is not going to be easy. Get either a small dowel and do each one individually by rubbing the heavy grout off or try a brass brush (about toothbrush sized) (please try the brush in an inconspicuous area first to see that it does not mar the tile ) Other than doing each tile individually like that, I have no Idea what to recommend. I hope it works for you!
Regards,
Rich Gately (Tileman1) www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com

Old 12-06-00, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile bad grout

Hi - thought I sent this message, but I don't see it, so I am sending it again. I had the same problem. I used WD 40 - a bit oily but rub it in and off with a clean cotton cloth. It helped the grout in the crevices of my tile. good luck
Diane