Porcelain Tile Over "Pergo"

Old 12-12-09, 03:13 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porcelain Tile Over "Pergo"

I realize that tiling over a "floating" floor system is a no-no, but is it possible to do so by screwing the Pergo flooring to the subfloor, thus eliminating its float? Seems like a real chore to pull up the old floor and put down a substrate when there is one already there. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 04:01 PM
J
That would not be something I would recommend for several reasons. 1. It is so easy to remove a laminate floor, why would you leave it down?? 2. It will raise the surrounding doorways by the tile thickness+. 3. Why would you even consider that???

Old 12-13-09, 08:02 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Like the others have said, the pergo has to go. Doing as you suggest will only result in failure. Remove the pergo and let us know what you have for a subfloor. From there, we can advise on how you should proceed.

Old 12-13-09, 11:42 AM
J
You do not need 1/2" backer, 1/4" is made esp. for floors. You could also use a membrane such as Ditra or one of Noble's instead. Once the Pergo is at the curb, we need to know about the subfloor.

And, was that a typo or did someone mention "pre-mixed" thin set mortar? Pre-mixed thin set mortar works best when it collects dust on the store's shelves!

Jaz

Old 12-14-09, 07:32 AM
W
I recently watched an episode of Hometime. They had a pro come in and do bathroom tile. He used pre mixed. TOH used to
have a tile pro that appeared regularly. I think he has since passed away. I saw him use pre mix in a couple of episodes. I've also seen them use thinset on both these shows.

I'm not a pro, but I have tiled three bathrooms, a kitchen and a hallway. I have also tiled countertops and backsplashes. I used pre mix on each one. The kitchen tile lasted a dozen years before I replaced it during a reno. One of the baths is 20years old, the hallway is nearly 20 and the other bathroom floors are 5 and 10 years old. None of the tiles cracked. I have had zero problems with any of the tile jobs.

I guess I'm just lucky.

Old 12-14-09, 10:20 AM
P
Thanks for all the help and suggestions posted. I realize the experts in these forums have real jobs, and the time they take to help us less knowledgeable amateurs is appreciated. From those posts I know now that laminate floor cannot be used as a substrate, but it did not seem to be an unreasonable question to pose. Pergo is up, floor clean, picking up the backer board today. Thanks again.