Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Kitchen Backsplash - 3/4 mosaic tile on painted lath/plaster wall

Old 12-18-09, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Just finishing up the kitchen after doing a DIY remodel this summer (concrete countertops that look awesome) and new floor tile.

I found some nice 1sf sheets of 3/4" glass tile at HD that we may use. Its very thin stuff (like 1/8"). HD had a display set up recommending using this backing adhesive instead of thinset to mount this tile. I assume since its so thin, the thinset pushing through the mess a bit would really limit the amount of grout I can get in there.

Does anyone have any issues with using this adhesive backing behind the tile? Its like a mesh sheet with glue lines on it for the tile sheets to stick too.

Also the plaster/lath walls were painted so I'd be applying it over that. I've read that I can install the tile right on there without the need for cementboard.

One last question. Whats the right way to cut this tile. I assume a wetsaw but with the being so small on that mess sheet, I was concerned about them shifting while cutting and not getting straight lines.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-09, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the DIY remodel.

Try a 1/8 notch trowel with Adhesive and do a bond test first, you might have a bond issue with 1/8 " notch. pull the tile off the wall and check the back of the tile for good coverage up into the back of the tile, the notch should cover the back of the tile uniformly and the notch on the wall should be flattened slightly.

If more adhesive is needed use a 3/16 notch.

Adhesive over paint for that small and lightweight tile should be ok, as for cutting, just
cut slowly with a wetsaw.

Resurfacer
Signature Concrete products