Leveling floor before installing tile

Old 12-21-09, 01:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Leveling floor before installing tile

I'm doing my first bathroom remodeling and in the process of replacing vanity cabinet, I discovered that it was installed directly on plywood sub-floor. Rest of this small bathroom has tile but it's a whole inch above the sub-floor (don't ask, I think there is linoleum underneath In any case, I don't want to redo tile, I just want to add it to a small square (about 3x2) where new vanity cabinet will be. From what I understand I can attach cement backer board (CBB) to the sub-floor, put on adhesive and add tile. Problem is CBB is usually 1/2 inch thick, so how do I raise it so it's in level with rest of the tile floor? Someone suggested I use floor leveller compound, if so should I apply it under CBB, above or instead? Also how much height should I expect from the adhesive compound?
I appreciate any advise!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-09, 02:01 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could add a combination of plywood and cement board to the existing subfloor to get it to the height you need.

You could also use self leveling compound as was suggested. You don't need to use cement board with slc. Simply dam off anyplace that the slc can escape through, prime the area, pour it and let it cure.

Use thinset mortar (it comes in powder form in a bag and gets mixed with water) to set the tile. Dont use anything that comes premixed in a bucket.

Do you have extra matching tile to do the job.

If the new vanity is the same size or bigger than the hole, you could fill the hole with plywood etc and install the vanity over it, no tile needed.

Old 12-21-09, 02:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply!
New vanity is smaller than old one. To be hones I wanted to do the least amount of work here, and originally planned to just add a piece of plywood to the level and then put few self adhesive vinyl tiles. Tiles don't really match, but there's only a thin strip that will be visible under the new vanity so I think it will be ok. But later I got a little scared that water might damage plywood and sub-floor so I thought if I should do it right with cement board, etc... It's also an extremely small bathroom, and very cramped space to work in...