Wife wants large tile.

Old 12-22-09, 09:20 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wife wants large tile.

My wife has picked out a tile she wants for our kitchen. It measures about 18x36. Is this large a tile hard to install?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-09, 10:18 AM
Large tiles are easier to clean and require less grout work during installation.
Large tiles also require less cutting.
Its more personal choice, but larger tile are easier to match up the hight on there edges.

Old 12-22-09, 10:50 AM
W
So, what you are saying is that they are easier to work with. Great. The only question I have is that someone said that the bigger tiles will crack easier. Is that true? If your floor will support tile, does it matter what the tile size is?

Old 12-22-09, 11:02 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Large tile will be "different" to install than smaller format tile. For starters, you'll want a dead flat surface to install them on. Any high high spots that cause the tile to rock will wreak havoc on the entire installation. It'll be difficult to get all the tile on the same plane. While the standards don't necessarily address tile size, I'd want a stiffer floor joist system, and minimum 2 layers of plywood for tile that size. Larger tiles will be more prone to cracking with any movement. You'll have to install either an isolation membrane or cement board over the plywood. You'll need a medium bed mortar and a large notch trowel maybe 1/2" but more likely 3/4" to set the tile.

Old 12-22-09, 11:28 AM
W
I will be using Ditra on my floor.

Old 12-22-09, 12:03 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What are the size of your floor joists, their on center spacing and unsupported span from below? What do you currently have for a subfloor, materials, #of layers and thickness?

Before installing the ditra, you'll need to make sure the floor is dead flat (no humps and dips) and rock solid.

Old 12-23-09, 12:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
The reason I would stay away from large tiles is they make the space look smaller - if it's big, no problem but a room on the small size to start will look tiny with a big tile.

The devil is in the prep work with tile and you've been given great questions to assess where you are with that.