Fiberock(R)

Old 12-22-09, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Fiberock(R)

I am usually the last to hear about new products, so I may be behind the times on this, too. I just thought I'd throw it out. It appears USG is competing with James Hardie in the underlayment business aside from their Durock label. It is called Fiberock. It is environmentally friendly, made from mostly recycled products, reduced mold, and a bunch of other stuff.
For those who would like to read more here it is http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Con...nstalltion.pdf
It not only comes in 3x5 sheets, but in 4x4 and 4x8 (in 3/8").

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-09, 06:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not positive when it came to market, but I'm guessing at least 15 years ago, probably longer.

I don't think much of it, just another cheaper version of Hardie. No big deal, but will do the job when used as directed.

Jaz

Old 12-23-09, 03:01 PM
Wow, really behind. Wonder why it is just now showing up at big orange?

Old 12-23-09, 05:03 PM
J
Well Chandler, how many backers does one company need to carry? They already carry Wonderboard because they also carry Custom's thin sets and other stuff. And they carry Durock & Hardie. That's plenty as each come in 2 thicknesses.

Lowes has Hardie, Durock, Densguard and Fiberock. I may have missed one?

There are many other brands of CBU as you know. Permabase, Wedi, Pro-board,

Jaz

Old 12-23-09, 05:10 PM
In your opinion what is your favorite for floors? Just curious, as I have used several brands and have my own opinion, but am willing to be swayed by other founded reasonings.

Old 12-23-09, 05:20 PM
J
My favorite is none of the above.

Ditra is the way to go!

Of the CBU's I liked Permabase the best, although I used Durock mostly cuz it was easy to find. The new generation Durock is out and they claim it's a big improvement.

I try to use Ditra on floors whenever possible, and I only do waterproof shower using the Kerdi system, so I now can use regular wallboard on walls.

I think Hardie is the #1 seller, but I never liked it because it was so difficult to seat the fasteners and because they recommended that any floor over 15' in any direction have expansion joints in the center in the backer and continue into the tile work. That told me their product was less stable than the others. Either that, or they were being honest in regards to the need for expansion joints in such a small room, and the others aren't.

Jaz

Old 12-23-09, 06:38 PM
I like Hardie as well, but damn, that stuff is just so heavy.

I know big orange got the Fiberock stuff about 2 years ago. Never used the stuff, however.

I'de try and convince the customer to use Kerdi. It may cost a bit more upfront, but the time you save on installation and materials will make up for it.

Jaz,

Hardie says expansion joint needed because the TCNA states so? I don't have the manual to look it up.

Old 12-23-09, 07:28 PM
J
Oh I know about the need for expansion joints, but Hardie's recommendations were different from the norm. And now I can't find what Hardie suggests at all.

For interior the TCNA says every 20-25 ft. for interior areas that are dry and not subject to sunlight for any period of time. I'm good with that. But Hardie was saying a joints in the middle of the room in each direction if the room is 15 ft. in any direction, and of course at an "L". I'm pretty sure no one did that. Then a few years ago they removed that paragraph and now they say nothing.

Jaz

Old 12-24-09, 05:50 AM
Sorry to beat y'all to death with questions, but others may gain knowledge as well. With Ditra, can you install it over existing floor covering, such as linoleum, or do you need a permeable strata such as wood for the thinset to adhere?

Old 12-24-09, 08:04 AM
J
You can install Ditra or any tile over some sheet vinyl and VCT too. All you need it to trust the old floor to stay stuck for the life of the ceramic tile. It only works on a limited number of situations. Well bonded, not cushioned.

Most floors with vinyl tiles will have several areas, (usually around the perimeter), that are not stuck so good. Many sheet vinyl floors are cushioned, although most people do not know it. Both will results in failures.

Getting thin sets to bond to vinyl floors as you see is not the problem, the substrate is critical.

It's always best to install Ditra over a substrate that is mechanically fastened.

Jaz
MERRY CHRISTMAS