newbie tiling onto plywood....backerboard ?s

Old 12-29-09, 11:36 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
newbie tiling onto plywood....backerboard ?s

looks like i've got 3/4 osb, with 1/4 plywood on top. i'd like to use 1/4 backerboard, but even that will put the tile too high to open the door. are there some other ways i can go about this?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-09, 11:56 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes, the 1/4" plywood has to go. You cannot use it anywhere in a tile installation. You can replace it with cement board or an isolation membrane to control height. This assumes that joist system is adequate to support ceramic tile. You are installing ceramic tile, not stone, right?

Old 12-29-09, 12:16 PM
R
yes, ceramic tile. the joists are 16 c.t.c. 2x8s.

Old 12-29-09, 12:26 PM
H
Robby

Whats the unsupported span of the joists (distance between supports)?

Old 12-29-09, 12:47 PM
R
16 inches center to center. I thought if i removed the plywood id loose some sturdiness, but perhaps not

Old 12-29-09, 12:58 PM
H
Robby

I'm not asking the oc spacing of the joists, you already told me that. How long is the span of the joists (length from one end of a joist to the other end of the same joist between supported ends of the joists)?

Plywood does indeed strenghten the floor, however you need at a minimum to use 3/8" exterior glue plywood. 1/4" plywood doesnt meet the standards for a tile installation. 1/4" plywood is typically used as an underlayment for other types of flooring like sheet vinyl.

Old 12-29-09, 01:34 PM
R
unsupported length is 61.5 inches. i'm guess i'm getting a bit confused now about what i need to do. you saying that i need to take the 1/4 plywood out, and replace it with 3/8 plywood.......then backerboard?

meaning my layers would be like this?
tile
thinset
backerboard
thinset
plywood
osb

Old 12-29-09, 02:04 PM
H
Robby

Not trying to confuse you.

You can remove the 1/4" plywood and use 1/4" cement board or an isolation membrane over the 3/4" osb subfloor. You dont have to add additional plywood. My point was that "IF" you were going to add more plywood, 3/8" plywood is the minimum according to standards. More plywood is always better, but not required in your case.

Your order below is good, just leave out the plywood layer. Make sure the osb is properly fastened to the joists. Use as many screws as need to make sure its rock solid. Read and follow the manufacturers instructions for installing the cement board. Don't use any "thinsets" that come premixed in a bucket. Use "real thinset" that comes in a bag and is mixed with water. The manufacturer of the cement board will tell you what kind of thinset to use to bed the cement board (either modified or unmodified). Use a good quality modified thinset to set the tile.

Old 12-29-09, 02:18 PM
R
Got it now. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-29-09, 02:30 PM
H
Your welcome, glad to help.