Porcelain or Ceramic Tile?

Old 01-04-10, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porcelain or Ceramic Tile?

Can I get some input please? I've been told that for the kitchen floor I'll want porcelain instead of ceramic tile because it is stronger and will stand up to abuse, for example, if things get dropped ceramic will be more likely to crack. How true is this? How big of a difference is there? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-10, 10:46 AM
Old 01-05-10, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
IMO, the differences between the two are small enough to make the decision between the two a moot point - if you like the style of one tile over another, buy based on that rather than the composition.

Old 01-06-10, 06:48 PM
I don't know of any residential area that needs porcelain tiles to get 30-40 years of wear or longer. I have seen glazed quarry tiles that are much older that look just fine.

A ceramic tile with a PEI 3 is plenty durable for most kitchens on earth. However, because of modern tile making methods, porcelain tiles have come down in cost and probably account for 70-75% of floor tiles sales today.

I remember in 1976 when I supplied the 8x8 old style double-fired soft bisque lugged back tiles for my foyer. These tiles were selling retail for just under $3 per ft. In today's dollars that is probably equal to about $8-9 a ft. or more. Kinda funny cuz some people today think $3 is expensive. Actually it's below average.

Jaz

Old 01-29-10, 06:39 AM
I'd say a ceramic tile is the most rubush and hard wearing. Mine are shiny so I've put grip tape in the hazzard prone areas as they're really slippy.

Old 01-29-10, 06:29 PM
Hi Jenny,

Next time don't select smooth tiles whether they're ceramic or vinyl. The secret it the texture not necessarily the shine. Vinyl floors can be worse than ceramic and it won't last as long.

I only sell a few dozen containers a year to local distributors, all are porcelain. A PEI 3 ceramic would be just fine for residential, but the prices are so low that most want porcelain. There is still a market for soft bisque tiles, but mostly for bathrooms I think.

Jaz

Old 02-10-10, 01:50 PM
installation cost per sq foot ?

Having 4 small bathrooms tiled, curious about a dollar value for "installation cost square foot". Really just an idea of labor cost to do the tile work. All plumbing has to be done by a plumber, floor would be ready to tile over. All materials provided for by owner to the tile installer.

thanks