Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Did I Screw Up? What Type of Thinset Should Be Used With Cement Board?

Old 01-13-10, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was told 'Use Latex over Plywood' - so I purchased a 50 lbs. bag of thinset without the laytex. I'm installing 13" ceramic tile on the walls (cement board) around a bathtub.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-10, 09:30 PM
What brand did you buy? The board I mean? I believe every manufacturer of cement backer boards would prefer you use modified thin set to stick your tiles to.

Did you place a vapor barrier on the studs first? Or were you gonna apply a membrane over the board.? Or nothing?

Jaz

Old 01-14-10, 08:22 AM
I placed a 6 mil thick sheet of plastic over the studs (behind the cement board). The brand of board is 'Durock Cement Board' - it's 1/2" thick. The thinset is shown here - Link

It's from Lowes, Mapei Keraset Gray Powder Dry-Thinset Mortar.

It sounds like I've used the wrong thing. Will I need to scrap everything and start over?

EDIT -
This is what the install instructions had to say....
"Adhesives, Mortars, Grouts
Check your local tile distributor for
the products available and which
ones are appropriate for your job."

http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Con...tion_Guide.pdf

Last edited by RobDude; 01-14-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-14-10, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Rob

Thats a dryset mortar. You need to take it back to the store and get a modified thinset mortar.

I'm not all that familiar with Mapei mortars, but I think the one you need is is either "Ultraflex 1" or "Ultraflex 2". If thats not right, Jaz will correct me.

Old 01-14-10, 06:46 PM
Since you've already installed much of the tiles I'd leave those alone but continue using a better quality mortar. Ultraflex 2 in a good mid-grade modified.

I doubt very much the tiles will not bond well, UNLESS those 13" floor tiles are porcelain. And....most are. Let us know.

Jaz

Old 01-15-10, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the posts/help, I really appreciate it.

I'll double check when I get home from work but I'm about 90% certain that the tile I put up on the wall is PEI4 Ceramic (whatever that means). The back of the tile is red (again, not sure if that matters, but I'm told there are two kinds).

So, basically, unless I have a good reason not to - I should be using modified thinset for tile installations?

Lastly - do I need to do anything special with the grout for this? I know there are different types of grout but I don't know what the difference is.

Thanks again.