Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

How to seal the connection fromDitra underlayment to Fibre Glass shower Pan

Old 01-15-10, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need to replace the bathroom floor from Vinyl to tile. I checked the subfloor which is plywood in dovetail layout. It should meet the code to allow to lay out tile on top of that.

The shower including the Fibre glass shower pan installed two years ago. I have no plan to replace it. The shower pan is sitting on the plywood directly.

Since this is a steam/shower unit, I would to use Ditra membrane as a water proof material which will be put under the tiles. However, as the spec from Ditra, it require Poland Cement (P. C.) as the adhesive. I don't see problem at floor, at conner of floor to walls. I do see problem at the conner of floor to the shower pan.

What type of chemical/caulking can I use to make it water proof to seal out the connection from Ditra on the floor to the edge of shower pan? I will also tile over it, which means it needs to be bond with thinset and grout.

Your advice will be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-10, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I read your post 3 times and still confused.

Why are you waterproofing the bathroom floor? The shower needs to be waterproof if steam, but not the whole bathroom floor.

Old 01-17-10, 03:01 PM
Even though the shower door is water proof, in my previous experience, the water is still easy to drip out around door and the edge close to the shower pan area. It got mold at that area before I start doing this project.

The reason I am in this project was because that little water got into the particle board under the old vinyl floor. Now I just removed all the vinyl and particle board from the floor and want to put Ditra and tiles instead. This time I want make it right - make it water proof at area close to the shower so that I could be sleep tight and don't worry any mold in the subfloor.

Old 01-20-10, 01:28 PM
Hobby

Use a silicone caulk to seal the ditra to the shower base. After you have installed the tile, use a silicone caulk to seal the tile to the shower base.

Old 01-24-10, 08:16 PM
Thanks. That's what I though. I am just afraid it may have trouble to tile over the silicone. It seems that you don't think it would be a problem. Great, I will do so.

Old 01-25-10, 09:00 AM
Hobby

You are just caulking the edge between the pan and ditra so tiling over the silicone really isnt an issue.