installation cost per square foot?

Old 02-10-10, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installation cost per square foot?

Having 4 small bathrooms tiled, curious about a dollar value for "installation cost square foot". Really just an idea of labor cost to do the tile work. All plumbing has to be done by a plumber, floor would be ready to tile over. All materials provided for by owner to the tile installer.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-10, 07:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Installation per square foot

Basic installation of tile is 3 to 5 dollars and backer board is another 1.00

Old 02-11-10, 07:58 AM
floorguy,

You've got to be kidding? Three to $5 a ft. is correct for large floors like a good sized kitchen, (300-400) but not bathroom floors. AND if you do bathroom walls for anything close to that, well, then one of us is insane!

That floor figure is for installing the ceramic or porcelain tiles only. All prep-more, removing moldings,appliances, fixtures-more, large tiles-more, mosaics-more, stone tiles-more etc.

Furthermore tub enclosures should run well over $10 and showers can be even more, especially the floor and ceiling. I've never done a shower where labor was less than 1,800 and that had an acrylic base that the plumber installed. Most of the showers I do are about 3K including basic tiles. That would be about a 3x4' shower. Many are larger and of course the cost go up.

Another factor is the quality & experience of the tile setter AND the method used. There are Hacks out there who build showers with greenboard and mastic. YIKES. I only build Kerdi shower these days, and so my showers are waterproof.

Jaz

Old 02-11-10, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Asking this question is like asking "How much does a car cost". There are way too may considerations for anyone to give you an answer that makes any sense.

Call a couple of experienced contractors, people who actually do this for a living and have them give you prices. What you consider proper prep, they may not. Proper prep is the most important step in any tile installation.

I never give quotes based on a per foot basis. I estimate how may days it will take to do the job and go from there. Some bathrooms can be done in a week while other same size bathrooms can take two weeks or longer. Beware of a contractor that would come in and throw a per foot price at you for 4 bathrooms.