Bathroom subfloor questions

Old 02-20-10, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom subfloor questions

Hello,

Currently remodeling a our 2nd floor bathroom. Ripped up the vinyl flooring along with the 1/4" plywood. What I'm left with is 3/4" plywood with the floor truss' 24" O.C. The support span for the truss is about 4 or 5 feet. We plan on installing ceramic tile. My question is do I need another layer of plywood? Would just ditra be good enough? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 11:51 AM
Mark,

Either add an underlayment grade plywood of min. 3/8" then Ditra or cement backer, or find someone that will sell you a small amount of Ditra XL. The thicker Ditra XL is rated for the 24" span with 3/4" ply in excellent condition.

Jaz

Old 02-22-10, 11:26 AM
I will be installing a tub also. Should the plywood go under the tub or install the tub first?

Old 02-22-10, 11:30 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Either add an underlayment grade plywood of min. 3/8" then Ditra or cement backer, or find someone that will sell you a small amount of Ditra XL. The thicker Ditra XL is rated for the 24" span with 3/4" ply in excellent condition.

Jaz
I agree with Jazman. My opinion, adding an extra layer of plywood then ditra is the better solution of the 2 though.

I will be installing a tub also. Should the plywood go under the tub or install the tub first?
If your adding a second layer of plywood, put it over the whole subfloor, then install the tub on top of that.