Natural slate 12 X 12 tiles?

Old 02-23-10, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Natural slate 12 X 12 tiles?

I just laid a hearth with natural slate tiles, and now need to grout the 1/8" spaces. I will be using a sanded natural color grout, but since the slate does NOT have a glaze do I use a different method to grout? Do I spread the grout with a rubber float just like normal glazed tiles?

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-10, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dale, you would use an UNsanded grout for the 1/8" gap, and I would opt for a grout (baker's ) bag to apply the grout as close to the target as possible, wiping it as I went.

Old 02-23-10, 08:17 PM
Cool

The tile company insisted SANDED, according to the designer I am working with.

I will do a test on some scraps too, to learn what happens if I don't wipe at once.

I like your idea, for sure, but such will really slow the process. MAYBE................LOL

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Old 02-23-10, 10:40 PM
Generally for 1/8" grout lines unsanded is used, however from my own experience sanded will work also. 1/16" definitely unsanded. For slate, since it is a natural stone it is very porous and in general slate is pretty soft. Normally it is suggested to seal the stone first with a good quality sealer prior to grouting. This makes clean up of the stone much easier. If you do not seal slate prior, as mentioned you do not want to let the grout sit on the stone too long as it will start staining the tile and clean up and removal of the grout is a *****.

Old 02-24-10, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yep, seal the slate before you grout. Use the sanded grout. Work in small areas, and clean up a little faster than usual. If you let it get out of hand it'll be a bear to clean later. Work with a few clean pails of water and keep changing them often.

Old 02-24-10, 12:52 PM
Absolutely use sanded grout, it's want is recommended with 1/8", plus sanded is easier to use and looks better, (esp. with slate). Seal the tiles before and may want to consider also using a grout release. Do a small areas at a time.

Grouting is one of several reasons setting slate is worth more $$$.

Jaz