Tile/grout sealing TileLab SURFACEGARD?

Old 03-02-10, 02:11 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile/grout sealing TileLab SURFACEGARD?

I have a "porcelain" tile from Home Depot. Made by daltile, (grade 1, tone?, C.O.F. 60, W.A -.5, PEI 4

HD rep said it ( and grout) needed to be sealed and said to use the spray on type of sealer TileLab Surfacegard penetrating sealer.

Maybe I've read too much, but it seems as if this is the wrong type of sealer?

Anyone used it? Any info, advice appreciated!!!

Old 03-02-10, 02:51 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Walker

spray on type of sealer TileLab Surfacegard penetrating sealer.
Never seen this in a spray on type. Are you sure about that.

The grout definitely needs to be sealed. The tile may or may not need to be sealed, but the sealer wont hurt it none.

Old 03-02-10, 07:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi Walker,

Definitely seal the grout keeping in mind that tile is glazed. The tile doesn't really require sealing, but it will take a very little penetrating sealer which will fill the microscopic pores in the glaze.

I wouldn't use that spray sealer though. I'm sure it was a different brand, but the orange place sold a spray sealer 3-5 years ago that sent dozens in not hundreds of people to the hospital and many didn't come home right away. Then, the orange place kept selling the product even though they were aware of the problem. I guess they claimed improper use. As I said it's not the same product, but the one they have now seems too cheap for me to bother with. Stand and Seal Health Problems - The Best Information & Resources for Flooring Products and Services

The only sealer I've found that promotes it's use on glazed tile too is 511 Impregnator by Miracle Sealants. It's a much better product too, as the price reflects.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: