granite tile, how to shine up dull area

Old 03-20-10, 08:05 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
granite tile, how to shine up dull area

I installed my kitchen granite tile about 5 yrs ago. I'm noticing that there is some dull areas on the tile that stone cleaners can't clean. Is my only other solution a sealant? The tile is very new so I don't to just seal a few areas.....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-10, 12:10 PM
C
Sealer alone probably won't make much difference since it will soon wear off the surface & become dull again. The stone itself needs to be polished before applying sealer, which is meant to seal against stains, not to add gloss. If you have a 6" random orbit sander with a hook & loop (Velcro) backer pad, you can use Abralon pads, which use silicon carbide abrasive on a cloth backer with foam padding & hook & loop fastening system. Start with 500 grit, then 1000. They're available up to 4000 grit. Good luck

Old 03-20-10, 06:41 PM
Believe it or not, I've used white cheap toothpaste and it brought back the shine.

Is it possible that baking soda would do the same thing? That is a question for a seasoned granite person.

Old 03-21-10, 09:29 AM
D
Originally Posted by CNTRTOP View Post
Sealer alone probably won't make much difference since it will soon wear off the surface & become dull again. The stone itself needs to be polished before applying sealer, which is meant to seal against stains, not to add gloss. If you have a 6" random orbit sander with a hook & loop (Velcro) backer pad, you can use Abralon pads, which use silicon carbide abrasive on a cloth backer with foam padding & hook & loop fastening system. Start with 500 grit, then 1000. They're available up to 4000 grit. Good luck
thanks guys, I will give it a shot.

Old 04-02-10, 07:35 PM
Please don't try this by yourself. You need to hire a quality stone restoration contractor for this job. Have you tried simply just cleaning the countertop with acetone? Alot of time people that have "foggy" or "hazy" countertops really just have a build up of cleaner and sealer on the surface of the countertop. We see this all the time. 95% of the time we are called out to "polish" granite we only have to clean it correctly and people are amazed at the difference in shine. What is the name of the granite that you have? Has it been sealed before? What are you currently cleaning with?