Tile Floor Grout Sealant?

Old 03-25-10, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile Floor Grout Sealant?

Good Evening all

I moved into a new house last weekend. As murphys law would have it, the first day i was out of town, my wife discovered a water stain on the bathroom ceiling immediately below our master bath.

We are planning to remove/reinstall the shower door to ensure a better seal, but my question relates to the tile floor in the bathroom. The seller installed a new tile floor in the bathroom and i am wondering if the grout needs to be sealed? When it get wet, it seems to remain dark/wet for an extended period of time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-10, 12:53 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Grout should be sealed. Sealing grout doesnt make it waterproof however. The main reason to seal grout is to make it more stain resistant. The sealer clogs the pores in the grout making it more resistant to stain. Sealer will slow down water absorption, but will not stop it.

If the floor has had a lot of water on it due to a leaky shower door, the cement board or whats ever under the tile might be wet as well, thus you have the grout staying wet/darker longer as its wicking some moisture from below.

Fixing the leaky door and sealing the grout should solve both problems. Wipe up any water on the floor as soon as possible after a shower.

Old 03-27-10, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post

Fixing the leaky door and sealing the grout should solve both problems. Wipe up any water on the floor as soon as possible after a shower.
Please don't listen to this. You cannot blame the leak simply on the shower door! There are many things that can be going on here. The first two main problems would be 1) a leaky shower pan. 2) a plumbing leak. Sealer will not waterproof the grout as the previous poster said. You need to get a drain plug and remove the drain cover, insert the plug. Then fill your pan with water up about 1-2" up the walls. Then let it rest for up to 24 hours. Mark the water level right after filling up the pan with water. If you notice a large amount of water recession after about say 4-6 hours then you have a leaky shower pan. If not then it would be best to have a plumber look at the pipes to check for leaks.

Old 03-27-10, 11:13 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Sealer will not waterproof the grout as the previous poster said.
Sealing grout doesnt make it waterproof however
Perhaps you need to read the post over again.

I love it when the new guy know it all comes along.

Then fill your pan with water up about 1-2" up the walls. Then let it rest for up to 24 hours. Mark the water level right after filling up the pan with water. If you notice a large amount of water recession after about say 4-6 hours then you have a leaky shower pan. If not then it would be best to have a plumber look at the pipes to check for leaks.
Cmon, the water level will drop whether there is a leak or not. The mud bed under the tile will suck up all the water. They will find out if they have a leak though after 24 hours when they see water coming thru their ceiling.

Nothing in the op's post to indicate there is anything wrong with the shower.

Old 03-27-10, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Johnny is 100% correct.

You cannot do a water test with mud and tile still there. The water test is done after you install the liner, and that's it.

Old 04-02-10, 08:19 PM
Really you can't to a water test after the tile is put in? Are you sure? Because you obviously have never done one before if you are saying this. Notice how i said after a few hours if there is a LARGE amount of water gone you could have a leaky pan? I did not say if any water is missing. Of course water would absorb into the mudset, and go down the weep holes, but it will be rather apparent if there is a leak in the pan liner because of the amount of water missing.

BTW if you are referring to an impregnating sealer (which I am sure you are) they do not clog the pores of the grout. You really should get your facts straight before you post them. How can a penetrating sealer breathe if it clogs the pores? it can't, thats why they do not clog the pores but rather bond to the grout/stone and use chemistry to minimize oil and water penetration into the grout. It is done by giving a negative reaction to oil and water molecules, NOT by "clogging" the pores of the grout.

I really do not like the fact that you are simply stating that by repairing the door, and sealing the grout, his problem will go away. he needs to do more research, because it is hard to imagine in most cases a leaky shower door letting out enough water to go through the tile floor and show up on the cieling below. Maybe, but there is a significant chance that this person has a leak in the pan liner, so it is worth checking.

Old 04-03-10, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by dewoof01 View Post
Really you can't to a water test after the tile is put in? Are you sure?
Why would you do a water test after putting the tiles in? You want to find a leak before putting tiles in. If you read the posts above yours, you will find your answer. The water will absorb into the top mud layer and you would then think you have a leak, when you do not.

Plumbing code requires a leak test after the liner is put in.

Old 04-03-10, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Why would you do a water test after putting the tiles in? You want to find a leak before putting tiles in. If you read the posts above yours, you will find your answer. The water will absorb into the top mud layer and you would then think you have a leak, when you do not.

Plumbing code requires a leak test after the liner is put in.
You would want to do this test to help identify if you have a faulty or leaking pan liner. Yes on new construction you MUST have a new pan liner filled with water for 24 hours to show that the pan is not leaking, and have it inspected. However, we need to have established that the pan liner is not leaking, not just the shower door. Doing the pan test again can show leaks in the pan liner. If the pan has a good enough leak then that water will be gone in a couple hours, as well as the sheetrock below will show signs of moisture quite quickly.