Caulking and grouting questions

Old 03-26-10, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking and grouting questions

Hey Everyone! I finished tiling my spare bathroom floor the other night So, my next questions...
1-Should I caulk the perimeter joints prior to grouting?
2-I'm using TEC sanded grout and the bag says to 'protect the area' for at least 24 hrs. Would 48 hrs be better or is 24 just as good (~70F temp). I'd like to finish this BR in the next week for my inlaws visit, but both my hubby and I agree that not at the expense of taking ill advised shortcuts. We can all easily share a full bath.
3-TEC defers sealing instructions to the sealer and I have not picked that up yet. How long do I need to wait to seal?

Thanks
Suzi

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-10, 06:12 PM
Grout before you caulk. Caulk 24 hours later, Or 48 if you wish.

Seal whenever you wish. Not having it won't make the bathroom unusable, so you can do that after your in-laws are gone

Old 03-27-10, 06:13 AM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Grout today, make sure you clean all the grout out of the joints that will get caulked. Caulk tomorrow. Wait 3 days from the day you grouted to seal.

Old 03-27-10, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys What type of caulk do I need? Should I let it dry before putting the baseboards back on?

Old 03-27-10, 08:45 AM
I usually will always do my grouting first making sure not to have any grout in the movement joint. The better way is to caulk first and let dry for 24 hours, then go back and grout everything and wash the grout off of the caulking, this helps better ensure that you will not get grout in that movement joint. If you put grout in the movement joint and caulk over it, the caulking is guaranteed to fail. You need to have caulking only in that joint.