Question about tiling a small bathroom

Old 04-22-10, 06:26 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about tiling a small bathroom

I am getting ready to tile a small bathroom and had a couple questions that I have seen varying opinions on so I am looking for a few more.

First questions is if I can tile over linoleum. The room is fairly small (~6x6). Where my situation is a little different is that my home is manufactured and it appears that they put linoleum on the whole "half" of the house. because of that, I believe that the linoleum is pretty secure and not prone to coming up or anything like that which seems to be the biggest concern.

I would hate to have a perfectly level surface now and then go and decide to pull up the linoleum (which would have to be cut out basically) and have to resurface the floor to make sure it was a nice level surface and in the end see no benefit other than maybe a little piece of mind. (I also won't be in the house more than another year or two at most anyway)

The second question is what sort of adhesive to use. I imagine this could vary slightly depending on if I tile over the linoleum or not.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-10, 11:09 AM
X
One suggestion that I have seen if laying over linoleum is to use underlayment nails roughly every 6 inches apart to help secure things. Does this make sense?

Old 04-23-10, 04:35 PM
A
tile

You've probably thought of this, but is the finished floor height going to work, given that it will be thicker with the linoleum underneath? Will the door open ok?

Old 04-23-10, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pull it up. Also, you need to make sure the floor joists are strong enough to support tile. You need to find out what you have for a subfloor and joists before you proceed and tile.

Old 05-08-10, 04:46 PM
O
You need to install cement backer board regardless if you pull up the old linoleum. If you leave the old flooring in, use 1/2" backer board (hardie backer or durarock) and make sure you use the longer rock screws (1 5/8"). Screw every 6" or so and run it perpendicular to the sheeting on the sub-floor if you can figure out which way it's running. Make sure you use plenty of screws. To make an even better bond, you can glue and screw using an outdoor construction adhesive (liquid nails). Hope this helps.