Tiling Around Column in the Middle of a Tile

Old 04-23-10, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling Around Column in the Middle of a Tile

I am knocking out about an 18" space in a partition wall and leaving about a 6"x6" column where the wall currently terminates in the middle of the room. The floor is already tiled. I will be able to remove the pieces of tile from around where the wall now ends and cut a rectangle out of a new piece so it will wrap around. My problem is that the column lands directly in the center of a tile. How should I handle this area to make it look the least awkward? Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-10, 12:38 AM
don't know the size of the tile, and if I understand correctly, which I may not, you could cut the tile into an L. Lay the tile with the L on it's back and place it when you walk into the room, you only see tile and not the cut edge. Does that make sense?

| | ------|
| |``````|
| |------|
|_ _ _ _ _

excuse my try at making a post and L. You can also cut a U, if the size will allow it. Good Luck, I'm sure the tiles guys will have fun with my suggestions!!!

Old 04-23-10, 10:13 AM
Sorry if I didn't explain it very well. It is a wall that ends in the middle of a room - it divides my kitchen and living room. It is 18" tile. Once I am finished, there will be a column left, a space behind that (what I knocked out), than the rest of the wall going back to an exterior wall. The piece of tile around the part that will become a column is wrapped around on 3 sides right now. After it becomes a column there will be a cutout on the backside of the column where the wall used to be that will need to be tiled. This is the part that I'm not sure how to take care of.

Old 04-23-10, 10:25 AM
Is it possible to post some pics. pics always help describe a situation better

Old 04-23-10, 11:09 AM
I will try to get an image when I am home later. Thanks.